CONLANG  June 2003, Week 3

CONLANG June 2003, Week 3

Re: LWII: The Euroclones Strike Back!

Costentin Cornomorus <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 15 Jun 2003 10:57:47 -0700

--- Jan van Steenbergen <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> Hmm. Would it be too much to ask for the Latin
> version, too? On the Net, I
> found an English version indeed, but I get the
> impression that this has not
> been your source language.  What was the
> original you used (and where is  it ;))?

Actually, an English translation from Syriac was
the source I used. It's in "The Lost Books of the
Bible".

I made the Latin translation, and then worked
from that for the others.

> BTW, what is Eurolingua? Of most
> Euroclones/IALs/Esperantoids I know at least
> their names, and I'm quite sure this is not one
> of them.

============

LATIN

        Epistolæ Jesus Christi ac Abgari regis Edessæ.

chap. i.  Epistola Abgari.  1. Abgarus, rex
Edessæ, Jesui Christo Conservatori Bono qui
Hierusolymæ est, salve.  2. dicitur mihi te
curare homines sine medico ac sine herbis.
3.dicitur mihi homines cæcos curari; homines
claudos surgere ambulareque; te purgare lepros;
te ejacere diabolos; te dare salutem eis diu
ægris; ac te tollere mortuos; 4. hæc omnia me
obstupefaciunt ut credam aut te esse deum ipsum
qui veniat ex cælis ac omnes hæc omnia faciat aut
te esse filium dei.  5. sic ego tibi scribo,
rogans te huc iter facere ad me curandum, ego
enim diu æger fui.  6. dicitur enim mihi Judæos
te deridere odisseque.  7. parva enim est mea
civitas, sed munda, ac satis magna nobis duobus.

chap. ii.  Epistola Jesus.  1. Abgare rex, bonum
est te credere mihi, quem nunquam vidisti.  2.
dicitur enim eos qui me vident non credere mihi
ac eos qui me non vident credere in me ac vivere.
 3. ad illam partem tuæ epistolæ rogantem me
Edessai iter facere, te docendum est mihi: juravi
meas res gestas in hac terra exsequi, ac tunc
transportari illic ei qui me huc missit.  4. tunc
quando ego acceptus ero, unum meum apostolum
mittam, qui te curabit ac tibi vitam dabit, tibi
ac omnibus tecum.

chap. iii.  1. Hæc epistola missa est Jesui
Christo Hierusolymæ ab Abgaro rege Edessæ per
suum pedisecum, Ananiam nomine, rogans nostrum
dominum Edessai venire.

=============

EUROLINGUA - I think it might actually be
Interlingua, though, come to look at it. I don't
know - all these euroclones look alike to me!

L'epistolos de Iesus Christo e Abgaro, le rege de
Edesa.

chap. i.  l'epistolo de Abgaro.  1. Abgaro le
rege de Edesa saluta Iesus Christo le bon
salvator que es apud Hierusoleme.  2. illes me
dicen que tu sana homines sin l'astutia del
sanguisugator ni qualcunque herbas.  3. illes me
dicen que homines cec son facete san; que homines
claude se levan e vade; que tu mundar le
leprosos; que tu abatte diabolos; que tu sana
illes longe malade; e que tu reanima le morites.
4. omne istes me stupefacen quo io crede o tu es
le deo ex le celos que face omne istas cosas o tu
es le filio del deo.  5. si io te scribe petente
que tu venirea a Edesa a curarme perque io es
longe malade.  6. illes me dicen anque que le
Iudeos volen mal sur te e que illes riden a te.
7. le mie citate es parve sed munde e es satis
grande in nostre caso.

chap. ii.  l'epistolo de Iesus.  1. Abgaro rege,
il es bon que tu crede in me que tu non ha
videte.  2. es scribete que illes que me viden
non creden in me e que illes que non me viden
creden in me e illes viven.  3. re ille parte de
tu epistolo petente que io vaderea a Edesa, io
debe dicerte: io iurava un grande iuramento que
omne mie actos in ista terra facerea, e postea io
essera assumete a ille que me mandava hic.  4.
postea quando io me leva, a te io mandara un de
mie apostolos que te curara e te dara vita, a te
e a omnes con te.

chap. iii.  1. Iste epistolo esseva emittete a
Iesus Christo apud Hierusoleme ex mano Abgaran
per le sue pedesecco Ananeo, petente que le
nostre senior venirea a Edesa.

=============

> BTW I'm grateful to John for keeping the
> Sessiwn Kemres archives. Often, when I
> want to know something, I find it there!

Indeed. Chock full of archival goodness!

> > SORBADO [...]
>
> Cool, it looks like a Paesan dialect indeed. I
> knew that Brithenig and Kerno
> had several dialects, but I had no idea they
> were elaborated to such a degree.

Well, what you see is all there is.

> > [Though personally, I wouldn't
> > mind if the Fifth Gospel managed to squeeze
> > in somehow...]
>
> Thomas', you mean?

The same.

> > > Don't worry too much about Venedino, BTW.
> >
> > Oh we're not! It's clearly a Sexond Rate
> > "auxlang" whose ideas were totally stolen
> > from The One And Only IAL!!!
>
> The One And Only IAL?! You mean Kernanto?

Don't you know it, you copy-catters! I mean, if
you _must_ try your hand at (needlessly!)
creating a new IAL, at least don't copy our
Fundamnto verbatim! Sheesh!

> Ha, don't make me laugh! Just wait
> and see: when one nation after another starts
> to adopt Venedino as its One and
> Only Language, then those Kernanto promoting
> heretics, who have obstructed The
> Right Way from the beginning till the end, will
> simply be nowhere.

Huh! That's what you think? Clearly you
Venedinistes are totally out of touch with
humanity and the needs of the world you claim to
live in!

> > I.e., it's not worth learning! Reason being,
> the
> > whole world has seen the sense in picking up
> > Kernopanto - the all new, One and Only IAL
> for
> > the whole universe!
>
> Kernopanto? Ah, you see? Apparently Kernanto
> was such a complete failure that
> they even had to change its name (into an even
> uglier one, but that aside!).

Uglier!? Try "more perfect" and "more universal"!
The new Fundamento states it right there in
print: "Kernopanto is the most perfect, most
universal IAL yet devised by the mind of
humankind. No other can compare; e.g., Esperanto,
Volapuke, Venedino - they make the whole world
laugh at how ludicrously insufficient they are."

> Let's make it the One and Only IAL for the
> whole universe, except Earth!
> Anyway, whatever signals you transmit into deep
> space in Kernanto, I doubt
> whether the space aliens will pick it up
> easily, with all these articles!

Nonsense! We have recieved the several replies.

> Venedino at least doesn't have those!

I.e., it is the totally insufficient IAL for the
international (and the future interplanetary)
communication! You Venedinistes have got to be
kidding - even the your neighbouring Volvolinkvo
is a step up!

> And I had been under the assumption that it
> should have been something like
> ["p&dr\Ik].

That's fine - a lot of people say it that way.
And it beats some of the other ways people come
up with to say it!

> Jan [jAn]

Lucky bastard!

Padraic.

=====
Et ters davigaint deck y yaithes 'n el drichlend le Roy Markon;
y cestes d' ils yspoil morès y ddew chaumèz e-z-el tons l' organón.

.