Monospaced Font

CONLANG  June 2003, Week 4

CONLANG June 2003, Week 4

Re: Word Lists-- The Bongo-Bongo sentences en ingles

"Juan A. Alonso" <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 24 Jun 2003 12:05:15 +0200

Hi,

Just a few corrections/comments to some of the translations below

2.- Have you FINISHED beating me? (rather than "stopped")
7.- SHE is in love with you (The subject of "está" is elided, but
"enamorada" is a feminine participle acting as the subject complement,
therefore the subject can only be a female.
17.- "Alguno de nuestros amigos fuma en pipa" = One [singular; we may not
know who] of our friends smokes a pipe
     "Algunos de nuestros amigos fuman en pipa" = Some [plural; we also may
not know who] of our friends smoke a pipe
21 .- I would say "The girl right there is Fred's fiancée", but the sentence
is somehow awkward in Spanish (at least for European Spanish). I'd rather
say "Esa chica [de ahí] es la prometida de Fred", but maybe it is OK in some
variety of American Spanish.

24.- There is a graphic accent missing in the Spanish sentence: "¿Cuánto
tiempo estuviste allí?". By the way, in written Spanish interrogative
sentences should normally be started with a leading interrrogation mark "¿"

27.- "ligón" is slang and more or less means "a man who always tries to
attract the attention of -typically- women in order to have short relations
with them ". The same would be applicable to a woman if the word were
"ligona". I do not know the English word for it ;-))
It is again a quite awkward sentence (in fact two sentences!)

29- Those blind mice .... (rats = ratas, at least, again, in European
Spanish)
30- Those girls that are so pretty are always in love with rich farmers".
"Are always falling in love" would be "siempre se están enamorando". This is
interesting in Spanish: to be in love = estar enamorado (lit. "to be
'*inloved'"). To fall in love = enamorarse (lit. "to '*inlove' oneself)

About Roger's comment on sentence 30, I do not find it syntactically awkward
in Spanish (apart from the meaning not being very brilliant, indeed). The
idea is that "Those pretty girls are USUALLY in love with rich farmers [and
not with poor shepherds or middle-class fishermen, for instance...]

Incidentally, wouldn't it be a god idea to systematize a little bit the
sentences to be included in the corpus? I know that the criteria to use for
that may not be easy to find, but I think that a "poutpourrie" of sentences
would not vbe of much use for the conlang community.
I would suggest to use different configurations of thematic relations for
the sentences [i.e. AGENT + VERB, PATIENT + VERB, EXPERIMENTER + VERB, AGENT
+ VERB + PATIENT, etc.]. The reason is that thematic relations are kept
across languages, even though the may be realized through different
syntactic structures.

Juan