CONLANG  June 2003, Week 4

CONLANG June 2003, Week 4

Re: conlan/natlang coincidences

"Thomas R. Wier" <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 25 Jun 2003 15:47:48 -0500

Quoting Andreas Johansson <[log in to unmask]>:
> Quoting Daniel Andreasson Vpc-Work <[log in to unmask]>:
> > "Seoul" in Swedish is /s2Ul/ (or thereabouts).
>
> The variant spelling _S÷ul_, I very much hope, suggests you're not plain
> wrong. Or might it be might that that's not an umlaut but a diaeresis
> telling us that is is /so.ul/?

If it were a diaeresis, surely it would be placed on the
*second* of the two vowels? Cf. Obsolescent English usage
_co÷perate_, _preŰmpt_, etc.

> Back when the Latin alphabet was first used to write non-Latin
> languages, they should've started connocting new signs instead
> of plaguing us with all these digraphs and diacritics ...

I dunno. From the point of view of printing, it seems to me
easier to create one set of diacritics, and one set of letters,
each of which may vary indepedently of the other (as long as
both are present in any graph), rather than creating wholly
new letters for each language's phoneme. Diacritics also usually
give clues as to pronunciation.

I agree with you about diagraphs, though.  Is <th> /T/ or [t_h]
or simply [t]?

Thomas Wier            "I find it useful to meet my subjects personally,
Chicago, IL 60637