CONLANG  July 2003, Week 1

CONLANG July 2003, Week 1

Re: CHAT: cultural interpretation [was Re: THEORY: language and the brain]

Peter Bleackley <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 3 Jul 2003 13:22:33 +0100

Staving Andreas Johansson:
>Quoting Peter Bleackley <[log in to unmask]>:
>
> > Staving Thomas Wier:

> > >That is the case. This is what you would expect if the contrast
> > >in English is more between aspirated and nonaspirated than between
> > >voiced and voiceless.
> > >

> > An alternative analysis might be that for a given voiceless consonant [c]
> > and the corresponding voiced consonant [q], [c_h] is an allophone of [q]
> > when whispering. (Note that c and q are arbitrary).
>
>You mean that [c]=/q/ and [c_h]=/c/, don't you?
>
>                                                        Andreas

What I think I mean is

                 Underlying                      Realisation
                                         Normal speech   Whispered
Voiceless       /c/                     [c]             [c]
Voiced          /q/                     [q]             [c_h]

Hope that makes some sort of sense - try whispering /b/ and /p/ and you'll
see what I'm talking about - /c/ and /q/ can be any pair contransting by voice

Pete