CONLANG July 2003, Week 3

Re: Phonetics (IPA)

JS Bangs <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 15 Jul 2003 11:10:29 -0700

TEXT/PLAIN

Thomas R. Wier sikyal:

> Quoting JS Bangs <[log in to unmask]>:
>
> > There's no reason that [ks] couldn't be monophonemic in some other
> > language, but it certainly isn't in English. Monophonemic clusters at
> > different places of articulation are rare, but not unheard-of, and my
> > conlang Hiksilipsi uses /ks/ and /ps/ as single phonemes. In English [nd],
> > [mb], [Ng] are clusters, but many African languages treat them as units.
> > In general, deciding which clusters are single phonemes and which are
> > units is a language-specific process.
>
> I think we may have discussed this before, but such "harmonic
> clusters" typically have to agree in some laryngeal feature, like
> voicing, aspiration, glottalization, etc. This is certainly the
> case in Georgian, where harmonic clusters must agree in voicing
> and glottalization and can occur where nonharmonic clusters may
> not, just like the case you discuss with [tS].

Hmmmm. Hiksilipsi has no constrastive glottalic features--no voice,
aspiration, or glottalization contrasts. What does *that* mean?

Jesse S. Bangs [log in to unmask]
http://students.washington.edu/jaspax/
http://students.washington.edu/jaspax/blog

Jesus asked them, "Who do you say that I am?"

And they answered, "You are the eschatological manifestation of the ground
of our being, the kerygma in which we find the ultimate meaning of our
interpersonal relationship."

And Jesus said, "What?"