CONLANG  July 2003, Week 3

CONLANG July 2003, Week 3

Re: Parts of Speech - how many?

Markus Miekk-oja <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 18 Jul 2003 23:43:57 +0300

Swedish parts of speech:

>nouns
>verbs
>adjectives
>adverbs
>prepositions
>conjunctions
>articles
>interjections
>infinitival marker
>participles
>
>I'm thinking those were all, but I might've missed one or two.

Conjunctions are often divided into two in Swedish:
subjunctions and conjunctions
subjunctions are such conjunctions that introduce a subclause.
("subordinating conjunctions").
I've never seen participles counted separately - I take it you mean the
one's with auxiliry verbs. Wouldn't those rather be a class in clause
analyzis? (grouped with such concepts as subject, object, etc.)?
I guess you could have a class of postpositions separately from prepositions
in Swedish too, but they're extremely rare (the only one I'd ever use
postpositionally is "förutan").
You've also omitted "numerals" (tho' I see the distinction adjective /
numeral to be highly artificial in Swedish. Numerals would fit better as a
subset of adjectives).

That's 13 if you add
pronouns
numerals