Help for AUXLANG Archives

AUXLANG Archives

AUXLANG@LISTSERV.BROWN.EDU

AUXLANG Home

AUXLANG  September 2003, Week 4

AUXLANG September 2003, Week 4

Interlinguans (was: Neutral Ido (was:A crazy idea))

Thomas Alexander <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 27 Sep 2003 05:48:47 -0400

Hello Everybody,
        I've been saving this note from Kjell from September
15 intending to reply, but it got burried under a bunch
of new e-mail.

Kjell wrote:
> Hehe! There's no denying that the fact of Interlinguans in
> real life indeed was a contributing reason why I started to
> learn it, but fact is that I found it beautiful as a system,
> per se, some kind of Middle Age Latin stripped of all the
> "quondams" and "rerum" this and that.

Okay, then I'll confess.  I feel like I'm learning Interlingua
in spite of the Interlinguans.  Certainly there are many who
have made a good impression on me, and some (namely you, Stan M,
and Jay B) of whom I am very fond and would really enjoy meeting
some day, but I've encountered a lot of bad blood too.  Some of
it may well have been my fault - but sometimes some very simple
and honest questions have been seen with great suspicion, mainly
because I'm known to be an Esperantist.  At one point after I
thought I'd finally smoothed everything over and learned what
might rub people the wrong way, even as I was beginning to suppose
that I was starting to make friends, a well known American Interlinguan
openly called me his "enemy."  I'd love to spend a weekend hanging
out with him some day to show him otherwise, but it's all so
very frustrating, and is a large factor why I have not dedicated
more time into learning Interlingua, in spite of my interest in
the language.

Then there's the arrogance so typical of the Interlinguans.  Theirs
is not just another artificial language or IAL, but it's something
different *in kind* to many of them.  Those who are most vocal about
this approach will gladly talk about the faults of "the other IAL's"
but eventually admit that they cannot be bothered to learn any of the
details of these languages.  (If not, then why insist that Interlingua
is something different, since they can't possibly know.)  One particular
person often writes about "Esperantists, Idists, and Occidentalists"
as if there are still Occidentalists around in any numbers worth
speaking of.  He's just happily writing about an enemy just for the
sake of having one - never really checking into who they are or
whether they even exist.  Sometimes it feels like a witch hunt and
I am the witch!

That said, I think I would enjoy going to an Interlingua convention -
most likely in Europe, I suppose.  Then again, reading some of the
infighting between some of the American and European Interlinguans
(which, by the way, is not unlike some of the in fighting of the
Esperanto community), I wonder whether the European Interlinguans
might just not be a little more relaxed than some of their American
brethren.

> The reason why I found I could imagine being the only person
> in the world using it, was that it in a way organized the
> "foreign" and "learned" words I know in Swedish and English,
> not to mention Polish!

My interest in Interlingua is that I find that as I listen to
various taped courses in Italian, French, Latin, and the other
romance languages, I end up able to understand these languages,
but when I try to speak, it comes out as Europanto.  Perhaps
"organize" is a good way to put it.  I'd rather speak an organized
language like Interlingua than a disorganized one like Europanto.

I'd written about the ease with which Idists can learn Esperanto
and Esperantists can learn Esperanto, and added:
> > This does not necessarily go for Interlinguans. For
> > them to learn to read Ido or Esperanto, they'd have
> > to pick up a few more key words and endings, but not
> > so many in the long run.

Kjell replied:
> Nia ex-presidento dil Sueda Interlinguala Societo lernis
> esperanto e me helpis ad il en ol.  Il lektis facile plura
> libri in esperanto.

Mi volis diri ke por Interlinguanoj lerni Esperanton estus
*iom malpli* facile ol por Idistoj.  Mi tute ne volis diri
ke la tasko estis malfacila.

In the same saved note (or notes) from Kjell, I find the
following lines which I wrote, originally to James Chandler.
> > By the way, how are you progressing in your studies of
> > Esperanto (a la "rapprochement" from two years ago.)

I suspect that James has me listed in his "not worth my time"
category, so he didn't answer the question.  In the meanwhile,
it's been brought to my attention that my question may have been
somewhat misleading.

On Oct 18, 2001, James posted a note with the subject line
of "Rapprochement?".  It generated a lot of replies.  This
made an impression on me because it was all going on when I
was brand new to the Auxlang list.

In that note, James said that he was going to "start learning
the language again and frequenting the Esp web sites", which,
I suppose is *not* the same as "progressing in studies of
Esperanto" as I suggested, especially considering that James
already speaks Esperanto, at least to some degree, as witnessed
by his many posts in Esperanto still available on the web.
        Dang, I see that my diskette just ate my notes on this.
Bummer!  There were notes from just after his "rapproachment",
and one from well before it (from 1998).  The most interesting
one, however was from 1996, in very clear, although imperfect,
Esperanto.  This last one was apparently written three weeks
after he started to learn the language.  Even then, though,
he'd started exploring the other languages and wanted to know
what was better about Esperanto's grammar that made it more
successful.

Amike,
Thomas/Tomaso.