CONLANG  December 2003, Week 4

CONLANG December 2003, Week 4

Tagalog - reponse to Christophe (was Re: Help: Ergative VOS Conjunctions)

JR <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 22 Dec 2003 01:41:40 -0500

I apologize for my delay in responding - I've been busy trying to finish up
my schoolwork so I could graduate!

on 12/8/03 3:17 PM, Christophe Grandsire at [log in to unmask]
wrote:

> En réponse à JR :
>

>> Not so, Christophe. If you look in the archives you'll see my examples of
>> both nominative-accusative and ergative-absolutive trigger langs:
>>
>> http://listserv.brown.edu/archives/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0301C&L=conlang&P=R27020
>
> And I still disagree with your analysis, which doesn't add anything and
> uselessly complexifies simple analyses.

Just to be clear, it's not my analysis, in the sense that I didn't come up
with it. You can call it my analysis to mean "the analysis that you're
arguing for," though, of course.

>> The "trigger" analysis of Tagalog does not explain everything.
>
> What doesn't it explain?
>
>>  For instance,
>> all three verbs below would normally be said to have agent marking, but only
>> in the first is the "ang" phrase clearly an agent. In the second, it's a
>> patient, and in the third it can be interpreted as either.
>>
>> B-um-alik     si     ama.
>> Intr-returned PN.Abs father
>> ŒFather returned.¹
>>
>> Na-laglag ang libro.
>> Intr-fell Abs book
>> ŒThe book fell.¹
>>
>> Um-ubo       ang lalaki.
>> Intr-coughed Abs man
>> ŒThe man coughed (purposely or not).¹
>
> The problem here is that you try to force the notion of agent of a specific
> mark in Tagalog. It doesn't work that way. The "um" marking marks the
> *actor*, which is something different from an agent, and needn't be purely
> agentive. Trigger systems are not active systems, i.e. they don't mark
> semantic functions, so there's no more reason to expect the "um" mark to
> always indicate the agent as there is to expect a nominative to be always
> an agent.

Okay, now I don't know what analysis you're referring to. The traditional
analysis of Tagalog is that the marking on the verb refers to semantic/theta
role. As in Shachter, Kroeger. Also, the terms "agent" and "actor" are used
interchangeably in what I've read. You seem to have used them
interchangeably yourself (unless it's your views that have changed). Carsten
Becker posted a quote from you the other week: