CONLANG  January 2004, Week 2

CONLANG January 2004, Week 2

Re: number bases (was without subject)

Roger Mills <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 13 Jan 2004 15:28:57 -0500

David Zitzelsberger wrote:

> Not just traditional typography (I'd be curious which langauges this was
> true), but English.
>         ten, eleven, twelve, thir-teen
> dozen   (10 in base twelve)
> gross (100 in base twelve)
>
> Any other languages with a language pre-disposition to another base?

Not a natlang, but my Gwr probably has leftovers from when they counted in
base-8 (they've been decimal now for over 1000 years).  Food for thought--
perhaps there will be a unit derived from the word for hand (4 items). They
probably had 400 degrees to a circle (they still do, but now it's decimal)..
And probably measure room-sizes in some peculiar way, like the Japanese
(number of tatamis).

We need to get to work on Gwr...............