CONLANG  January 2004, Week 2

CONLANG January 2004, Week 2

Re: OT: reality (wasRe: Atlantean) & Re: Some questions

J Y S Czhang <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 12 Jan 2004 17:39:23 EST

In a message dated 2004:01:12 05:00:53 PM, [log in to unmask] writes:

>Gary Shannon scripsit:
>
>> The only solution is to learn to be comfortable with
>> uncertainty. "Look and it can't be seen.  Listen and
>> it can't be heard. Reach, and it can't be grasped." -
>> Tao Te Ching (ch:14)
>
>Good advice anyhow.

        If the human brain was any simpler than it is, it would be way too
far complex for us to even ponder pondering it  ;)  intriguin' paradox that...

    Jeepers! Just how many Taoists & Buddhists (and Taoist/Buddhist
similar/sympathetic) are on this list 0_o?
    It's hasta be an email list record for a non-Taoist/Buddhist email list!
(And better grasped ;) than some of those lists, too... Proud of ya peeps.)

    Comin' to think of it, we conlangers - in general - tend to be highly
skeptical of the unchangingness of language & the absolute certainity of
utterances within any semantic field - in another words, rigid, closed-ended thinking
systems.
    No wonder so many of us have no prob with mystical metaphoric language
and its use even tho' we maybe self-proclaimed atheists, secular humanists or
*GASP! EEK!* nihilistic materialists.

In a message dated 2004:01:12 06:54:12 PM, [log in to unmask] writes:

>PS Why doesn't there seem to be any feminists on the list? Despite the
>disagreements we have on everything from Tagalog grammar to the existence
>of Arhats, one can apparently refer to God with masculine pronouns here
without
>drawing any flak whatsoever.

    ::dons flak jacket 'n' helmet::
    ::aims flamin' tongue::
    :)  :P~

    I have hard time using pronouns when it comes to these Higher Things... I
usta cringe at the Masculination of the Godhead and foam at the mouth when
any one compared the Tao to the personified male "God" of Christians. The
Chinese Boxer and the Militant Mystic really comes out to the front(lines) then...

In a message dated 2004:01:12 06:25:47 PM, [log in to unmask] writes:

>Furthermore, most descriptions of God make His existence untestable
>by observation within our universe.
>
>So God's existence is not assumed, and cannot be proven; it is
>therefore not considered when looking for explanations of natural
>phenomena.  But the fact that God is not deemed *necessary* doesn't
>mean He *cannot* exist - no true skeptic would make such a claim,
>even if supposed necessity was the reason His existence was
>postulated in the first place.
>
>(Besides, He's omnipotent.  Surely such power includes the ability to exist
>despite any and all logic which might indicate otherwise. ;-))

    Carl Gustav Jung wrote, "Nobody can know what the ultimate things are. We
must, therefore, take them as we experience them. And if such experience
helps to make your life healthier, more beautiful, more complete and more
satisfactory to yourself and to those you love, you may safely say: 'This was the
grace of God.'"

    Jung also wrote," If you should find in yourself...an ineradicable
tendency to believe in God or immortality, do not allow yourself to be disturbed by
the blather of so-called 'free-thinkers'; but if you find in yourself an
equally resistant tendency to deny all religious ideas, do not hesitate to deny
them and see how that suits you."

    I am rather fond of the panentheistic idea of the Ever-Evolving Mind of
the Cosmos [not to be totally confused with _pantheism_ (i.e., the certain
Hindu concepts of the Atman Nature of Brahma)].
    In a very tight nutshell, _Panentheism_ means 'everything in "God", "God"
in everything and "God" being the sum of it all and transcending all,' that
the entire cosmic process is "God" & "God" works like an improvising multimedia
artist attempting to win order and beauty out of opportunity. The entire
process moving along undetermined lines, "God" is thus also "the Great Companion -
the Fellow-Sufferer Who Understands, our Greatest Ally in the Cosmic Chaos
Process"...

... then of course this following "chunk" o' wordage is one of my fav quotes:

    "...divine chaos ...rumors of chaos have been known to enhance the mature
religious vision.... for the godhead manifests no more of its reality than
the limited grammar of each person's imagination and conceptual system can
handle. A second advantage is suggested by William James in _Varieties of Religious
Experience_. James affirms the possibilty of many gods, mostly because he
takes seriously his multiverse theory of personal monads, each one of us
experiencing a unique religious revelation. An orderly monistic and monotheistic
system, he fears, might succumb to a craving for logical coherence, and trim away
some of the mystery, rich indeterminancy, and tragic ambiguity in a complete
numinous experience. For some temperaments, the ambivalent gentleness and
savagery of fate can be imagined effectively in a godhead split into personified
attributes, sometimes at war, sometimes in shifting alliance." ~ Vernon Ruland, _
Eight Sacred Horizons: The Religious Imagination East and West_

“... and know the devil is the work of god
        and all the devils do the work of god...” ~ Danzig

re: secret(ive) writings...

In a message dated 2004:01:12 06:07:07 PM, [log in to unmask] writes:

>Hah!  Good one.  Of course, the real answer is "yes, and that reason is
>that it's more convenient not to keep it secret." :)
>
>I like the idea of the Secret Police going through a conlanger's notes.
>"Nobody would spend all this time making up a language that nobody will
>speak!  We've got to find out what they were REALLY working on!!"

ROTFLMAO
    ::hides goomeelegoo up his sleeve::
            "Got warrant? Got back-up? Made your peace with the Universe?"
            ::BiG ViCiouS WeT CaRNiVoRe GRiNNie::

---///// __/_//_/ __/_//  in the yera of 2004 CE,
                year 4702 of the Huangdi era,
                Year of the Wooden Monkey, _Jia-Shen_...

Nom de Guerre: Hanuman "Stitch/626" Zhang
AIN Resistance partisan code name: "Z23-4C"
    WOGeR (Wiley Oriental Gentleman/Rogue)
    BBC (BritishBornChinaman)
        Avatar of Sun Wu K'ung, a.k.a. Sun Wukong, a.k.a _Ma-Lau_ ("Monkey
King")
        a.k.a. "TricksterGod of the Glorious Anti-Imperialist Chinese Boxers"
            http://www.uglychinese.org/war.htm
            ¡¡¡  TricksterShapeShifterIncarnate  !!!  >^..^<       ';'
;P~~~
    "one o' dem best-est & bright-est a' de bottom o' de barrel"
    <A HREF="http://www.friendster.com/user.jsp">Friendster - zHANgster</A>

=>  om hung hanumatay rudratmakai hung phat  <=
    mantra to Hanuman the Hindu Monkey TricksterGod

==> Ko nahi janat hai jag mein kapi, sankat mochan naam tiharo <==
[Who does not know that in this world oh monkey, thy name is one which
liberates one out of all problems].

"Whoso would be a man must be a nonconformist...
Imitation is suicide." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

    "I rather be whole than good." - Carl Jung

>Do I contradict myself?
>Very well then, I contradict myself.
>I am large, I contain multitudes.
>        --Walt Whitman, _Leaves of Grass_

I Am A Bird, don't try
to tell my wings where to fly.

<=  thee prIs ov eXistenZ iz aetern'l warfaer 'N' kreativ playf'llnizz...  =>

"Life is all a great joke, but only the brave ever get the point."
                                            - Kenneth Rexroth
googolgigglabyte
goegolgiechelbijt  - of - met een vette megagrijns
GoogolGekicherByte
googolrisibyte ===> el byte de la  risita de googol
googolrisadinhabyte ===>  o byte de risadinha de googol
googolspassoctet                    guugoIllolbijt
gugolhihibajt                       gugolngisibayt
okukolkikikol                       egúgelegigalibaith
kiletstroknolyadgigabaiti           cimacimakekehapi
baitakhakhweifayatrauni         ufi'auayinisuguguluarkhar
pokatra oemadroabhethetre       inarevuta yhiyhayhake nawyo
AnekoMeppathmoTtilvatelmDiggulgyttahat
va'i utne tuktukt'ishushukuko`g tuk  go`go`o`gwgaga
ggsngngsbd [gugulaNexebidi]