Monospaced Font

CONLANG  January 2004, Week 4

CONLANG January 2004, Week 4

Re: CHAT: WPs for conlangs [was: CHAT: Microsoft]

Mon, 26 Jan 2004 22:58:47 +0100

En réponse à Tristan McLeay :

>Well, do you mind not using a word processor at all? A lot of us, but
>certainly not the majority, use LaTeX, which is sort-of a bit like HTML in
>that you type in commands like \emph{emphasised} or
> \begin{longtable}{lrc}
> left & right & centred\\
> \end{longtable}
>It lets you type in lots and lots of characters with any diacritic on any
>by doing \'\j to get j acute (or indeed \'j to get j with a dot and an
>acute), \v{q} to get a q with a carot(?) above, \textipa{TIN} to type
>'thing' in the IPA etc. etc. etc. It also has very nice fonts.* The
>downside is, of course, all that typing (which I don't mind, but it does
>mean being aware that, say " is not how you enter double quotes), and the
>fact that its more like HTML3.2 than XHTML inasmuchas some of the design
>is not really easily separable from the content (which I find makes it
>ugly). It involves an investment of effort.

And on Windows, it is easily downloadable for free as the MiKTeX
distribution at http://www.miktex.org. With a nice graphical interface for
updating, perfect default settings, and so many different packages you'll
never see the end of it, and enough documentation to start learning it from
scratch, you won't need anything else!

Christophe Grandsire.

http://rainbow.conlang.free.fr