CONLANG April 2004, Week 2

Re: colorless green ideas

Steg Belsky <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 9 Apr 2004 18:29:46 +0300

On Apr 9, 2004, at 5:53 PM, Andreas Johansson wrote:
> No doubt also to Swedish _mara_, a female demon which tortures
> sleepers by
> sitting on their chests. While you're unlikely to run across the word
> on its
> own these days outside books on folkloristics, it's the first part in
> _mardröm_, lit "_mara_ dream", the normal word for "nightmare".
>
> As an aside, I might mention that in Games Workshop's Warhammer fantasy
> universe, an undead horse is called a 'Nightmare'. I've always thought
> that
> pretty neat.
>
> Andreas

In Piers Anthony's _Xanth_ books, a 'Nightmare' is a (female) horse
from the Dream realm that brings people dreams/nightmares.

-Stephen (Steg)
  'the creator thought that one language would be enough,
   but Raven thought differently, and made many.'
      ~ the bella coola, according to hyde
        (thanks hanuman! ;) )