CONLANG  May 2004, Week 1

CONLANG May 2004, Week 1

Re: NATLANG/TRANS/ETC: The Daode Jing (Tao Te Ching) of Laozi (Lao Tzu)

Mon, 3 May 2004 17:54:38 -0400

Douglas Koller, Latin & French scripsit:

> I quite agree. I don't think it resonates on a literal translation
> level, a slightly-more-liberal-but-more-artistically-friendly-English
> translation level, or any combination thereof. And it certainly
> doesn't capture the zing of the original. What the hell is
> 'deem-acting"?

So far my favorites are Le Guin, Feng & English, and Binner; the latter two
tend to swap places, but the Le Guin version has my heart.

--
John Cowan  [log in to unmask]  www.reutershealth.com  www.ccil.org/~cowan
Promises become binding when there is a meeting of the minds and consideration