CONLANG  May 2004, Week 1

CONLANG May 2004, Week 1

Re: Tech: Unicode (was...)

Philippe Caquant <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 6 May 2004 10:43:28 -0700

Aaargh ! Out of curiosity, I looked what release of
Unicode was installed on my system, and it looks like
it is Release 2.1. That's probably why I can't get
Tibetan characters. How is it possible to live without
Tibetan characters ?

What's more, Word's Help tries to discourage me to
use, even an old release of Unicode, because it
requires huge space on disk. Says, only if you can't
do it another way. I shall never see the end of my
torments. Don't know whether I can download it for
free, but anyway it will probably take hours, as I use
a very low speed connection (3,5 bytes/s, as it
seems).

Tech, I hate you. You were supposed to make user's
life easier.

--- John Cowan <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> To stomp this meme before it gets out of control:
>
> Since the publication of Unicode 2.0 in 1996, there
> have been NO
> changes in the assignment of characters to
> particular codes or in
> the identity of characters, and the Unicode and ISO
> committees are
> firmly committed to the policy that there will be no
> changes in
> future for any reasons whatsoever.
>
> On occasion, the descriptions or properties of
> characters have
> been changed to take advantage of better knowledge
> (particularly
> about obscure scripts) or to correct small errors
> (the ESTIMATED
> SYMBOL is not a letter even though it looks just
> like an "e").
> But in no case has this extended to removing a
> character, or
> changing the code assigned to a character.
>
> Unicode 2.0 texts are perfectly interpretable under
> the current
> (4.0.1) standard.  Indeed, the great bulk of Unicode
> 1.1 texts
> are also; the changes made at that time affected
> only Korean,
> at a time when little if any Korean text was
> available in Unicode,
> and Japanese katakana with circles drawn around
> them.  Hardly
> a huge problem.

=====
Philippe Caquant

"High thoughts must have high language." (Aristophanes, Frogs)