CONLANG  May 2004, Week 4

CONLANG May 2004, Week 4

Re: Latin mxedruli, or do we really need capital and small letters?

Joe <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 26 May 2004 19:19:59 +0100

Christophe Grandsire wrote:

> En réponse à Javier BF :
>

>> It just occurred to me: Could a case be made for a higher-
>> than-two-case system, say, a three-case system with uppercase,
>> lowercase and 'middlecase'?  Come to think of it, in a way
>> that's what we actually have already... counting small caps!
>> Any idea for a four-case system?
>

> Well, one of my first conlangs had a cyrillic-inspired alphabet with
> three cases. The middle case looked very much like the small one but
> bigger, and the capitals were much more ornate. I guess I must have
> been inspired by lettrines :)) . However, I don't remember how the
> three cases were used :(( .
>
> BTW, how would you call the middle case? "mediuscule"? (would fit in
> French, which has "majuscule" and "minuscule" :)) )
>
> On the other hand, Maggel doesn't have case (it's written in a form of
> Uncial). However, it makes that up by having an Arabic-like system of
> connecting and non-connecting letters, and more opaque ligatures than
> you can ever imagine ;))) . And it exists only in cursive form ;) .

The system  for Kalon.  Biggest downwards:

1.First letter of first word in sentence
2.Rest of first word
3.Last letter of last word
4.Rest of last word

for the rest of the sentence:
6.Neuter-gender nouns/adjectives
7.Indefinite-gender nouns/adjectives
8. Masculine-gender
9.Feminine gender
10. Verbs
11. Adverbs

Now, all this is written in a kind of spiral.  Left->Right, then
Top->Bottom following the end of a line, then Right->Left on the bottom
line, then Bottom->Top, until it hits the first line, and so on.  Or
vice-versa.