CONLANG  May 2004, Week 4

CONLANG May 2004, Week 4

Re: Latin mxedruli, or do we really need capital and small letters?

Thu, 27 May 2004 17:35:08 -0400

Philippe Caquant scripsit:

> Interesting remark. I checked in an edition of the
> Little Prince (O mikros prigkipas), and it seems that
> you're right: in "sto basilia", the initial "b" is has
> the same form as in the middle of a word. Yet when I
> was learning some ancient Greek, we always wrote the
> "b" of "basileus" a different way, more or less like:

That is a specifically French typographical
convention in writing ancient (not modern) Greek: see
http://ptolemy.tlg.uci.edu/~opoudjis/unicode/letters.html#symbol
section 3.2.

--
My corporate data's a mess!                     John Cowan
It's all semi-structured, no less.              http://www.ccil.org/~cowan