CONLANG  May 2004, Week 4

CONLANG May 2004, Week 4

Re: OFF-TOPIC: Misspoken... Sort Of

Steg Belsky <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 28 May 2004 12:08:42 +0300

On May 25, 2004, at 6:36 AM, Emily Zilch wrote:
> { 20040524 | Danny Wier }
> "'Tit' is a mispronuskiation of 'teat', isn't it?"
>
> Not a mispronOUNCiation (makes me wield an axe), but a dialect form
> misunderstood as a different word. Like "ho". There just ain't no right
> way to spell HO. Hoe? What's the plural? Duh, "HO'Z".

That's "ho" as in the Ludacris rap song "You'z a Ho", right?
(speaking of puns in another thread...)
"You'z a Ho" is the most ROTFL collection of puns based on the word
"ho", ever!

And speaking of dialects, i pronounce the word "horrible" so that the
"horr-" sounds like the Pirate phrase 'har de har har' (with /a/~/A/),
whereas friends from other areas, mostly Upstate New York, pronounce it
with /O/, so it sounds like 'whore'.
This has led to a split in my idiolect, between:

|horrible| (with /a/~/A/) = really bad
|whorrible| (with /O/) = humorously bad
Although of course, if you spell it |whoreable| it means something
*completely* different :-P

-Stephen (Steg)
  "[would you like a] 'virgin'?"
      ~ what happens when you give silly English names
         to products in non-English-speaking countries