LISTSERV mailing list manager LISTSERV 16.5

Help for CONLANG Archives


CONLANG Archives

CONLANG Archives


CONLANG@LISTSERV.BROWN.EDU


View:

Message:

[

First

|

Previous

|

Next

|

Last

]

By Topic:

[

First

|

Previous

|

Next

|

Last

]

By Author:

[

First

|

Previous

|

Next

|

Last

]

Font:

Proportional Font

LISTSERV Archives

LISTSERV Archives

CONLANG Home

CONLANG Home

CONLANG  May 2004, Week 4

CONLANG May 2004, Week 4

Subject:

Re: OFF-TOPIC: Non linguistics books by Chomsky

From:

Ray Brown <[log in to unmask]>

Reply-To:

Constructed Languages List <[log in to unmask]>

Date:

Mon, 24 May 2004 05:39:28 +0100

Content-Type:

text/plain

Parts/Attachments:

Parts/Attachments

text/plain (73 lines)

On Sunday, May 23, 2004, at 12:29 AM, Jeff Jones wrote:

> This is really the last straw! You and Tom and Ray etc. don't get it, do
> you?

What is 'it'? What am I supposed not to have got?

As I haven't posted to this list since 18th May, and that was about
English use of "ain't" and "nothing" - hardly political as far as I can
see - it can't have anything to do with the present exchange about Chomsky
& Chomskites, since this started after that date.

> Could all the idiots

I object strongly to some ill-mannered person calling me an idiot for no
reason that I am aware of. He could have had the decency to say what it is
I am supposed to be guilty off - but then, judging from the obscenity
below, decency does not seem to be something he is aquainted with.

> who keep trying to politicize this board,
> academic politics or any other kind,

I have *NEVER* tried to politicize this board, whether with academic
politics or any other kind of politics. Quite the contrary, in fact - on
several occasions I have suggested that such discussions take place either
privately or on an appropriate list. I resent very strongly such an
accusation being made *without any supporting evidence*. None of the
quoted stuff in Jeff Jones' mail has any relevance to me.

>  FUCK OFF !!!

I thought the days of ad_homimem attacks on this list were a long distant
memory, and would not be revived. I am sorry that Jeff Jones has chosen to
revive this unpleasant practice, and in such an intemperate way, adding a
capitalized obscenity to bring home the attack.

I think the list has been far better without ad_hominem attacks. I have no
intention of leaving the list - which is what I assume the obscenity means.

 =========================================================================
On Sunday, May 23, 2004, at 01:21 AM, Mark P. Line wrote:

> Jeff Jones said:
[snip]

>> No Cross, No Crown, No Puke Green Star!
>
> Isn't "puke green star" a political comment?

Yes, of course it is - so potentially is, in this context, 'No cross', 'No
crown'.

> Why did you say "puke green
> star" instead of "discussion about the merits of Esperanto"?

I guess because the latter is not political. I find it offensive that I am
attacked by name & without any evidence being given, for trying to
politicize the list and that this attack comes from someone who, after
being obscene, then goes on to make potentially flame-provoking political
comment himself.

I apologize to the list that my first mail after being physically off-line
for the past few days has to be on such an unpleasant matter.

Ray
===============================================
http://home.freeuk.com/ray.brown
[log in to unmask]    (home)
[log in to unmask]   (work)
===============================================
"A mind which thinks at its own expense will always
interfere with language."         J.G. Hamann, 1760

Top of Message | Previous Page | Permalink

Advanced Options


Options

Error during command authentication.

Error - unable to initiate communication with LISTSERV (errno=111). The server is probably not started.

Log In

Log In

Get Password

Get Password


Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Subscribe or Unsubscribe


Archives

ATOM RSS1 RSS2



LISTSERV.BROWN.EDU

CataList Email List Search Powered by the LISTSERV Email List Manager