CONLANG  May 2004, Week 4

CONLANG May 2004, Week 4

Re: OFF-TOPIC: Misspoken... Sort Of

Nik Taylor <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 24 May 2004 19:29:50 -0500

Emily Zilch wrote:

> On 2004 May 24, Nik Taylor wrote: "I've never heard it, but it sounds
> like something I might say as a joke (the same way I sometimes say
> /'pAt@to/ for potato or /'&b@"l&m@/ for "Alabama")"
>
> My top five favorite misspoken/idiolectal forms (phonemicised where
> appropriate using duct tape [what website has the conlang sound
> standards?])

We generally use SAMPA, with a few modifications.  I don't know of any
site with the Conlang version (I'm sure there is one, tho), but the
standard SAMPA can be found here, along with other ASCII-fications:
http://www.blahedo.org/ascii-ipa.html

The most common variant is /&/ for

> 4. Nucular - I don't USE this one, I just fall down laughing every time
> G Bush does. If I had a nickel for each time...

/nukjulr=/ is a pretty common pronunciation.  In fact, in my experience,
it seems to be the more common pronunciation.  I don't even notice
anymore when someone says it.  I think I tend to vary between both, but
I'm not positive.

> 3. Kansas ("CANS awe") - street names here are all state names

Where's "Here"?

> 2. Arkansas ("are can SASS") - ditto

Hopefully not by the same people who say /k&nsA/.  :-)

Many Kansans say /Ar'k&nz@z/ (I.e., just like Kansas plus ar-) for the
river, but not the state.  :-)

> 1. Canadia - amusing malapropism derived from Canadian

I just use Canuckistan myself.  :-)