CONLANG  June 2004, Week 3

CONLANG June 2004, Week 3

Re: Subordinate Clauses

Philippe Caquant <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 21 Jun 2004 07:00:14 -0700

--- Carsten Becker <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> "Der Hund mit dem Mann" still does not make sense,
> even with the context
> given. It must be "des Mannes". That's the only
> right possiblity. In
> English you wouldn't say "the dog with the man was
> green" either, "the
> dog who was with the man was green" would be a valid
> possibility of
> course.

I would suggest: the dog in company of the man, or the
dog accompanying the man (?). Isn't this a nice case
of comitative ? Some natlangs should be able to
express this idea without any difficulty.

"Der Hund des Mannes" expresses property, not
accompaniment (although I very much suspect that both
were mixed in ancient times, when the only possibility
to possess something was to have it at hand).

=====
Philippe Caquant

"High thoughts must have high language." (Aristophanes, Frogs)