CONLANG  June 2004, Week 3

CONLANG June 2004, Week 3

Re: Subordinate Clauses

william drewery <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 16 Jun 2004 22:03:46 -0700

--- "Ph. D." <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Aaron Grahn wrote:
> >
> > Is there a good way to introduce a subordinate
> clause without a
> > particle? For instance in
> >
> > The dog with the man that I saw was green.
> >
> > the relative clause is introduced with "that".
> This is probably a bad
> > example, because English doesn't really
> distinguish (except by word
> > order) which one I saw, and which one was with the
> one that I saw, but
> > assume I saw a dog, the dog was with a man, and
> the dog was green.

I think that in Turkish you use participles for
relative clauses, and it comes out something like:

greening dog with-man I saw

Turkish doesn't use articles, adjectives precede nouns
and there's accusative case,  so it's less amibuous
than my rough translation suggests.

Some other languages might put it together as:

The dog, the green one with the man I saw.
                                 Travis