CONLANG  June 2004, Week 3

CONLANG June 2004, Week 3

Re: Nostratic (was Re: Etymology of English 'black'), Tech, and Albic

Andreas Johansson <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 17 Jun 2004 17:11:04 +0200

Quoting Danny Wier <[log in to unmask]>:

> From: "Jörg Rhiemeier" <joerg_rhiemeier@...> (in response to me)

> > In earlier versions, I remember you also had front rounded and I think
> > also back unrounded vowels.  Are they still there, and if yes, where
> > do they come from?  Umlaut?  Vowel harmony?
>
> I still don't know if I'll have front rounded vowels, but I want to. Most
> likely these will be surface vowels from long vowel + semivowel, or long
> vowel + two semivowels:
>
> & < a:j
> Q < a:w
> 2 < oj < awj
> y < uj < @wj
> etc.

Kalini Sapak does somethings similar:

/aj/ = [e:]
/aw/ = [o:]
/ij/ = [i:]

(That's when the glide belongs to the same syllable as the vowel. If not, you
get instead [Ej], [Qw], [ij], [yw], [yj], [uw]. Why do something simple when you
don't have too?)

There's a dialect that goes even further with the assimilations - I've not
worked much on it, but one example would be pronouncing _aywal_ "night sky" as
[2:'wal] rather than [e:'wal].

                                                         Andreas