CONLANG  June 2004, Week 3

CONLANG June 2004, Week 3

Re: Depressing vocabulary for mid-June

Sally Caves <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 19 Jun 2004 12:03:51 -0400

Hi, Kou, how nice to see you again!  And Elysse, what a wonderful question.
Celil tehwo tyr delry vanen,  send aistta domai tok!!  "(I was also sick in
the summer, and that sucks! (cruels, sharps)."

----- Original Message -----
From: "Douglas Koller, Latin & French" <[log in to unmask]>

> >I am "catching" or possibly "coming down with" a "cold".

To "catch" a cold is really quite an interesting metaphor in English, isn't
it?  "Catch" suggests a non-volitional sense: you were in the way as it flew
towards you.  Wind, indeed!

(Actually it may not
> >be rhinovirus: mostly some sneezing and a sore throat so far, but it
doesn't
> >feel like allergies...)

> That sucks. Sorry. Genki de...

Yryi eftoihs, "I'm regretful!"

> >This is obviously very idiomatic: I know that a cold in Japanese is
'kaze' --
> >wind -- but I don't off-hand remember the idioms for how one acquires
one.
> >Or how one happens.

What an entirely cool concept.  Cold as "wind."  In Teonaht, a cold is
"watery head."  The medievals, and later cultures in Europe, saw disease as
a miasma.  A fog creeping up on you.

> Kaze o hiku. "Hiku", "blow" is used in the sense of "play" wind
> instruments, so the word play can invoke bouts of hilarity:
>
> I play the trumpet.
> I play the clarinet.
> I play the cold.
>
> Ba dumpum, tsch! Har dee har har har.

Funny!!

> >If the speakers of your languages suffer from minor ailments and
illnesses:

> >Do they possess the ailment or does the ailment possess them (possibly in
> >demonic mode) or does the ailment just happen?\
>
> Many ailments can be verbalized in Géarthnuns, so that you'd end up
> with constructions like:
>
> I am tuberculosing.
> I am syphilising.

That's pretty elegant; Teonaht has stative verbs, too, but none so specific.
Ry vanend means "I sick, I am sick"  Then you add the prefix vul- to the
sickness, or the body part that is affected:  vulkkempa ry vanend, "headwise
I sick."  Or: vulkkempa ry tafwyrn, "headwise I hurt," "I have a headache."
Right now, I'm suffering from WAY too much caffeine.  Vulkkafya ryttantai.
"Coffeewise I dance!"  :)

> For those afflictions that can't do this, there is a "suffer from"
> verb that takes the ailment in the accusative.

Right, same in Teonaht.  tafwyrned, "to suffer pain, to hurt."

> >If the speakers are human, what is a "cold" called?
>
> Sans dictionnaire, I can't remember.

Cold, rhinitis, allergies, all of these are covered by the term kemp
memwadel, "watery head."  Memwa kempid means "head's water," i.e., "snot."
I'm sure Elysse doesn't want to be reminded of this.  :)

> >How strict is the
> >definition of the set of symptoms that count as a cold?
>
> Not very.

Same.

> >How do they deal with minor vs severe illnesses? Is there a recognized
> >difference between illness (fevers and respiratory problems) and injury
> >(mechanical damage like bruises, bone fractures and bleeding) or is it
all
> >one category?
>
> Illness and injury are different critters, neither of which you
> "have" in Géarthnuns ("suffer from" + acc.). Again, I'm at a loss
> without my dictionary, but a "bruise" is a "wine stain" in Géarthnuns
> ("jürau-something").

I LOVE that, Kou!  That could also cover "strawberry mark," or "port-wine
birthmark."  I don't have a word, yet, for "bruise" in Teonaht.  But one
suffers/hurts from illness and injury alike in Teonaht.  Illness and injury
can also strike one, which isn't terribly original, but it comes from
tokrarem, which is a -rem verb variant of the stative tokdi, "be cruel."
Pamy ol ai tokra, "Illness strikes me."  Here's just a few items I clipped
from the taxonomy I've been working on.  This falls under
"medicine"--hypochondriac that I am:

medicine: kadõhs, hdandwyf
healing: sonnentmarem, sonnentuoned
health: sonnendo
disease: pamy, vannendo
germ/bacteria: fimikuõl
pain: tor, tafwyr, uehskan, syrttor ("agony")
doctor: hdand
physician: hdand
surgeon: hdand saccyka ("cutting doctor")
surgery (operation): saccyko
surgery (place of operation): fõm saccyko
surgeon's knife: toys hdant
dentist: hdand dytant
pediatrician: hdand tamolt
obstetrician: hdand nantryt
patient: pamyvar
sick person: pamyvar
lame person: kloikivar ("stumbler")
hospital: hovik pamyvarnt
hospital bed: aippara pamyvart
medical school: eprymat kaddõhst
medical student: ahtny kaddõhst
women's disease: pamym uehar
injury: tafwo
scar: rendy
deformity: vilnnarnok
polydactyly: hypriddetily
broken bone: rim kleanib
brain disease: pamymllykan
memory loss: tissindom ysro
insane person: gryr/grinis
brain injury: tafwom lykkan
head injury: tafwom kemp
headache:  torm kemp
migraine: hemykkranua, hemykkempa
eye disease: pamym epa
eye injury: tafwom epa
blindness: vygeahtle
earache: torm arttys
vertigo: devvyole
deafness: hsoritor
mouth disease: pamym mort
tooth decay: pamym dytam
strep: streptikkokhsa
diphtheria: difhttrya
blood: glehd
bleeding: gorifya
blood disease: pamym glehd
blood loss: gorifya mohs
fever: kallaihtue
fainting: fanddevya
loss of consciousness: fanddevya
coma: anat ("abyss")
heart: nemral
heart disease: pamym nemral
stomach: ontam
stomache ache:  torm ontam
vomiting: navvecor ontamid
vomit: navvecho
intestines: kolvan
disease of the intestines: pamym kolvan
small intestine: kolva minka
large intestine: kolva mohsa
diarrhea: ehsffekomem
constipation: voehsfek
etc.

Sally
http://www.frontiernet.net/~scaves/teotax.html

Gotta stop this.  I have work to do.  But I love this crazy craftwork of
mine.