CONLANG  June 2004, Week 3

CONLANG June 2004, Week 3

Re: Rotokas (was: California Cheeseburger)

Ray Brown <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 21 Jun 2004 20:26:06 +0100

On Sunday, June 20, 2004, at 09:34 , Joe wrote:

[snip]
>> Basing an argument on a single item is a bit dodgy IMO, and names are
>> ever
>> less secure. Isn't this a bit like asking how can French not have the
>> phoneme [tS] when the name of the language ends in [tS]?
>

> YAEPTing, I know, but I couldn't resist.  In my ideolect, French is
> [frEnS].

Umm, yes - the same shift as French in the mid 13th century.

Since it seems to be open season for picking nits, let's try this one:
"Isn't this a bit like asking how can Spanish not have the phoneme [S]
when the name of the language ends in [S]?"

Ray
http://home.freeuk.com/ray.brown
[log in to unmask]    (home)
[log in to unmask]   (work)
"A mind which thinks at its own expense will always
interfere with language."         J.G. Hamann, 1760