CONLANG  June 2004, Week 3

CONLANG June 2004, Week 3

Re: Rotokas (was: California Cheeseburger)

"Mark P. Line" <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 16 Jun 2004 13:56:33 -0500

Nik Taylor said:
> "Mark P. Line" wrote:
>> 1. The name 'Rotokas' is not a native Rotokas word (by inference, from #2
>> below).
>>
>> 2. There are no syllable-final consonants in Rotokas.
>>
>> 3. There are no consonant clusters in Rotokas.
>>
>> 4. Rotokas syllables are (C)V. My best guess is that the '350' in Crystal
>> is a misprint. 7 x 5 = 35, not 350.
>
> I would guess at least 70, since long vowels contrast with short vowels,
7*5*2 = 70

Any sequence of vowels is possible in Rotokas, including two of the same
vowel. There's no justification for positing separate phonemes for long
vowels (or diphthongs).

> Number 2 doesn't rule out Rotokas as a native name.  It could be simply
from a native *Rotokasi.

Possibly. If so, it's the only form I've ever seen in which the final 'i'
is elided. I'll ask.

In any event, the form 'Rotokas' as it stands is phonotactically invalid
in Rotokas, and I don't recall ever seeing it used in any Rotokas text.

Orthographic 's' is a little suspicious in any event. The only
phonological statements I've seen (by Skip Firchow) have given 6 consonant
phonemes (not including /s/), but there are 7 consonant graphemes used to
write the language (including 's', which only occurs before 'i'). I'll ask
about that, too. (I don't know if Skip is still around, but somebody at
the Ukarumpa installation will be able to help.)

-- Mark