CONLANG  June 2004, Week 3

CONLANG June 2004, Week 3

Re: Subordinate Clauses

David Barrow <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 18 Jun 2004 11:02:23 -0500

Sally Caves wrote:

> [...]

David says
You may have missed something about my sentence
Your sentence

'The dog that I saw that was with the man was green'   breaks down thus:

the dog was green
I saw (the dog)  (the dog) is replaced by the first 'that'
(the dog) was with the man  (the dog) is replaced by the second 'that'

3 sentences so embedding 2 relative clauses

whereas my sentence

'The dog that I saw was with the man was green'    breaks down thus:

the dog was green
I saw [that (the dog) was with the man] [object clause]   (the dog) is
replaced by the only 'that'

2 sentences so embedding 1 relative clause

The relative pronoun is not the object of I saw,  it is the subject of
the object clause

If I swap the dog and the man and use who/m instead of that

your sentence would be

the man (whom) I saw who was with the dog was green

(whom) can be omitted

mine would be

the man who I saw was with the dog was green

who cannot be whom in this sentence, nor can it be omitted

'the money that I thought was missing has been found'

does not lose any implied relative pronoun as you say further up since
it also breaks down thus:

the money has been found
I thought that the money was missing

'the money that I thought that was missing has been found'  would break
down thus

the money has been found
I thought the money   (this doesn't work)
the money has been found

I wouldn't say 'nobody'  when it comes to English :-) After all some
dialects allow not only omission of
object relative pronouns, they also allow omission of subject relative
pronouns.  But in a sense you're right
multiple relatives and subordinates and complicated embeddings belong
more to the realm of written English
than they do to spoken English

>Sally said yesterday:
>

>What did I have for Teonaht?  Li zef kelry hain, vyrm lo kohs, as a way to remove one of the embedded relatives:  "the man saw I whom, green his dog."
>

>>How do you know the dog was with the man?
>>

>You don't.  As I responded to somebody else's remarks, Teonaht is Teonaht,
>and that's just how you say it.  I gave some other tighter translations.
>Teonaht's vocabulary for ownership is very complicated and ranges from
>something being WITH someone, someone having something voluntarily, or
>having it involuntarily or indifferently.  To avoid all that clapcrap, it's
>just easier to say "that man I saw [at the park, at the circus, at the
>trainstation], his dog was green."  Ergo, the dog was with him.  Just by
>putting pomil zef in here I've managed to screw things up: "with the man"
>means "he has the dog with him now"  "from the man" would indicate the dog
>was with him in the past.  This is used of indifferent possession or
>propinquity.  The man and the dog could have been standing together.  The
>dog from the man that I saw.
>
>THIS IS STILL IN THE TESTING PHASE... if it proves too ambiguous or
>cumbersome, I'll dump it.  If there is any hidden cleverness or efficiency
>in it, I will have to find it.  :(
>
>                http://www.frontiernet.net/~scaves/verbs.html#alien
>
>With some prompting I came up with the sentences you comment on below.
>
>David:
>

>>And if the focus of seeing is the dog, not the man?
>>

>Sally:  then you front the dog:  Li kohs pomil/tandil/omil zef kelry hain,
>vyrm lo.  "the dog with/from/of the man saw-I, green he. i.e., "the dog that
>I saw with the man was green."  See below:
>

>>>It's a lot more difficult for the second sentence:
>>>

>    [I've forgotten which sentence now this is... I think the ones way
>above, in CAPS]

David offers:
THE DOG THAT I SAW THAT WAS WITH THE MAN was green.

>Li kohs kelry hain pomil
>

>>>zef, vyrm elo.  "the dog saw I whom with the man, green past-he."  Both
>>>

>show
>

>>>the different focuses by putting kelry hain after the noun in question.
>>>

>David:
>

>>Your pronouns have past forms?
>>

>Yessiree!  I posted about this just a few days ago in a thread called "tense
>marking on nouns."  Teonaht has tense marking on its pronouns.  Also aspect
>and modal marking: elry, preterite-I.  uary, completive-I. talry, "I can."
>
>David:
>

>>And if the focus of seeing is the man with the man as companion?
>>

>I've answered this below my following comment
>
>Sal ely krespr:
>

>>>Also possible:  Vyrm li kohs kelry hain pomil zef.  "Green the dog saw I
>>>whom with the man."  Vyrm li kohs pomil zef kelry hain.  "Green the dog
>>>

>with the man saw I whom."
>

>David:
>

>>changing which one you saw and which one was the companion
>>

>No, changing the embedding:  Green was the dog that I saw with the man;
>green was the dog with the man that I saw.
>In neither case am I and the man seeing the dog together.

David clarifies:
Actually, I should have queried only the first part since you put the
relative clause 'saw I whom' next to
the man.

>If by "the man as companion" you mean "I and the man" who see together, then
>that would be: vyrm li kohs kelry hain uo le zef: "Green the dog saw-I which
>and the man.  The "le" article shows that the man is a volitional subject.
>A variant: vyrm li kohs kelsoyts, yryi le zef-jo:  "green the dog we saw, I
>and the man."  Slightly more emphasis on our seeing it together.

David asks:
Why isn't 'hain'  after 'kelry uo le zef'  'saw I and the man' since 'I
and the man' is a compound subject

translating 'vyrm li kohs kelry hain uo le zef'  word for word:

vyrm  = green
li  = the
kohs = dog
kelry = saw-I
hain = which
uo = and
le = the
zef  = man

vyrm li kohs kelsoyts, yryi le zef-jo

vyrm = green
li = the
kohs = dog
kelsoyts = saw-we
yryi  = I  in a tense? which one?
le = the
zef-jo  = the man + tense? the man + and?

the reason for my translations are the different 'and the man's

>Actually, the verb "saw" in this sense probably requires the non-volitional
>particle.  Ke means to "watch, observe, look at," whereas ke+n means "to see
>passively," "to have something come within your line of sight and surprise
>you."
>
>Vyrm li kohs kenelry.  "Green the dog that I saw (by accident)."  Or
>truncated: vyrm li kohs kelnry.
>

>>Is the verb 'be'
>>a) optional in constructions like the above?,
>>b) always omitted in constructions like the above?,
>>

>Teonaht is nearly zero copula, and is usually omitted in everything.  The
>only time you see parem ("to be") and its conjugations is 1) emphatic and 2)
>in some subordinate clauses:
>
>    1)  Saly Kevz rynne,  "I AM Sally Caves."  Tah ainna, "it IS a bird."
>    2)  Il beto ry ravvo nalo pamuis  "The boy I love is he sick"  (The boy
>I love is sick) (na, "is," is needed because main and subordinate clauses
>express their relationship through juxtaposition of verbs, one where the
>subject/pronoun precedes and the other where the subject/pronoun follows.
>This is an old development, and the reason why having two embedded relative
>clauses, such as the one posed by this thread, is very difficult in Teonaht.
>
>Of course, all of these things would be better worked out by being used in
>the world, something that Tolkien himself lamented.  Teonaht needs
>circulation within the world to iron out its difficulties; making it work
>for ME is a lifetime of practice.
>Some things I hang onto and work around, because they have a history with
>me.

David asks:
And if you translated my sentence in the sense I originally intended?

>>c) what verb 'be'?
>>

>Parem:  not yet loaded on my website, alas.  It's a long chapter that I have
>in WORD that needs a lot of revision.

David comments:
I meant this humorously as in answering: be? what verb be? Never heard
of it. What does it mean?  :-)

>Vyko!  Now let's see if after midnight my time counts as a new day, and this
>is accepted by the list as posting number 1.
>Sally
> http://www.frontiernet.net/~scaves/verbs.html

Well, I saw it last night, but it was too late for me to comment

David Barrow