CONLANG  July 2004, Week 1

CONLANG July 2004, Week 1

Re: The League of Lost Languages (was Re: Fakelangs)

Sally Caves <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 3 Jul 2004 23:28:02 -0400

Thanks for your patient responses to my posts, Jo"rg;  I think I was mostly
reacting to the assumption that the Teonim are not human, or that they must
stay within one fictional depiction of them (they wander most annoyingly
into other venues!), and since I've been toying with the notion of "faking"
Teonaht as a real language in some form, I was most interested in this
thread.  I would be happy, though, to just sit in and observe, if I may.  I
could be mistaken but it strikes me that the LLL's goal is to produce
evidence of "dead" languages for which we have Rosetta stones and a
surviving literature?  Teonaht's vocabulary extends into the twentieth
century.  If some LLLs are said to be spoken by living persons, though,
there has to be a this-world explanation for them, right?  T. could do that,
but it would have to be a diaspora; no straight-faced "melting."  :)  And a
diaspora would produce dialects, which I'm not yet up to.  But June has
produced all manner of new projects and games, and I'd like to observe them.
We'll see what happens!

Firrimby,
Sally