CONLANG  July 2004, Week 3

CONLANG July 2004, Week 3

Re: Interesting vowel harmony system from Australia

"Thomas R. Wier" <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 15 Jul 2004 10:33:18 -0500

From:    william drewery <[log in to unmask]>
> Consonant harmony! Wow, I've never heard of that
> before. I've heard of nasal harmony before, but
> figured that was as far as it went. At on time I had
> planned a conlang in which all consonants within a
> word had to be of the same family, such as all
> ejective or all voiced. But dropped it as too
> unnatural.

Some kinds of consonant harmonies are more unnatural than others.
I'd suggest you look at Gunnar Hansson's recent dissertation on the
topic.  The first part is a broad typological survey of consonant
harmony, and the second an optimality theoretic analysis thereof.

Thomas Wier	       "I find it useful to meet my subjects personally,
Chicago, IL 60637