CONLANG  July 2004, Week 3

CONLANG July 2004, Week 3

Re: How to Make Chicken Cacciatore (was: phonetics by guesswork)

"Thomas R. Wier" <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 18 Jul 2004 20:27:26 -0500

From:    Tristan Mc Leay <[log in to unmask]>
> Fair enough, I was going out on a limb here. But the rest of my points
> still stand. French is not German. (Except in English, when all foreign
> languages are essentially French.)

Except sometimes when it's not.  When it comes to stress, for example,
There's English stress, French stress, and then Foreign stress. My
friend Ilya, e.g., who's Russian, consistently has problems with
people pronouncing his name with initial stress, despite the fact
they know he's foreign. A Frenchman wouldn't, I suspect, have the same
problem.

Thomas Wier	       "I find it useful to meet my subjects personally,
Chicago, IL 60637