CONLANG  July 2004, Week 3

CONLANG July 2004, Week 3

Re: A few questions

Paul Bennett <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 19 Jul 2004 15:23:07 -0400

On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 19:22:32 +0100, Ray Brown <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I guess for 'x 10 of X' we'll have to settle for 'decal', if we accept
> 'septal' and 'octal'. So I suggest for specific numbers:
> dual, trial, quadral, quinqual, sexal, septal, octal, nonal, decal.
>
> But quite why anyone would want to burden their conlang nouns and/or
> pronouns with them all, I don't know   ;)

I have (or had) a project called Meynian which had "group plurals", which
were formed from singular stems plus prefixes derived from the ordinal
numbers. They acted entirely as singluars, except they denoted
specific-sized groups of a given noun. You would have "a two-hand" or "a
six-loaf" and so on. It was theoretically an open class, and was quite
distinct from the "true" plural, which worked quite like any other plural:
"two hands" or "six loaves".

Paul