CONLANG  July 2004, Week 3

CONLANG July 2004, Week 3

Leute (was...)

Philippe Caquant <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 20 Jul 2004 12:22:09 -0700

I noticed that I sent the following message as a
private reply, so I forward it onto the list, in case
somebody would be interested.

--------
Oh, I just had my mother on the phone, so I asked her
the question: "how would you say 'Leute' (des gens) in
Alsacian", and she replied without hesitation: "Litt"
(I even asked her: how would you write it, and she
said, well normally, we don't write Alsacian, but to
me it would be 'L-I-T-T').

True, she added: well, that's how people say here
around (Mulhouse area, department of Haut-Rhin), but I
don't know how people would say around Strasbourg. She
said, she even heard "Lütt" sometimes. She is a native
speaker, so this looks reliable.

=====
Philippe Caquant

"High thoughts must have high language." (Aristophanes, Frogs)