CONLANG  July 2004, Week 3

CONLANG July 2004, Week 3

Re: Two questions about Esperanto

Philip Newton <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 15 Jul 2004 21:24:24 +0200

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 19:35:00 +0200, Andreas Johansson <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> (I've got a sketch of German phonology that lists /x/ and /r/ as a
> voiceless/voiced fricative pair along with /f/~/v/ and /s/~/z/.)

That's more or less what it feels like to me, though my /x/ and /r/
don't feel uvular to me - at least, they're not as far back as when I
try to make a [q]. But they're definitely further back than my /k/ and
/g/.

On the other hand, what I think of as [X] may be [X\] already -
pharyngeal instead of uvular. I don't know. Maybe my /x/ *is* [X], not
[x].

So I'm not sure whether my /x/ and /r/ are [x] and [G] or [X] and [R],
but listing them as a voiceless-voiced pair sounds about right.

Cheers,
--
Philip Newton <[log in to unmask]>