CONLANG  September 2004, Week 1

CONLANG September 2004, Week 1

Re: Questions and Impressions of Basque & Ukrainian

Tamás Racskó <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 6 Sep 2004 15:39:58 +0200

On 2 Sep 2004 Alexander Savenkov <savenkov@XML...> wrote:

> > - gazda (master, landlord; similar to Russian
> > "gospodin" - wife says probably from Carpates)
>
> Please ask your wife to expand here. How are Carpates related to this?

  Since this question remained unanswered, I gave the solution. It
is a Hungarism: this word is developed in Hungarian from Slavonic
word form "gospoda" and it was re-borrowed by neighbouring Slavonic
dialects, such as Slovak and Rusyn (Carpathian Ukrainian) on north-
east region. And these Carpathian dialects mediated the word into
more central idiolects.