Monospaced Font

CONLANG  October 2004, Week 2

CONLANG October 2004, Week 2

Re: initial mutation or trigger? Re: re Mutations initial (in Welsh,

Muke Tever <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 14 Oct 2004 15:24:51 -0600

On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 17:40:36 +0200, Rodlox <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>> > is a "mutation" when it's attached to a word (ie, prynodd), and a
>> > "trigger" when it isn't attached?
>>
>> Rodlox: now I'm confused. What are you talking about?
>>
>> As I read it, "initial consonant mutation" isn't any kind of technical
>> linguistics terminology; it's just plain English. The initial consonant
>> (e.g. /p/) undergoes a mutation (to /b/), therefore it's called initial
>> consonant mutation. I suppose could have been called "first consonant
>> change", but I can't think of any way to make it plainer than that.
>> What the heck does a phonetic change like that have to do with triggers?
>
> it sounds like the explanation I got (way earlier) regarding
> triggers...only it's attached to a word.

Maybe you've gotten triggers and _clitics_ confused together?

*Muke!
--
website: http://frath.net/
LiveJournal: http://kohath.livejournal.com/

FrathWiki, a conlang and conculture wiki:
http://wiki.frath.net/