CONLANG  November 2004, Week 1

CONLANG November 2004, Week 1

Re: Advanced English + Babel text

"J. 'Mach' Wust" <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 3 Nov 2004 06:19:38 -0500

On Tue, 2 Nov 2004 23:04:51 -0500, Sally Caves <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> [...]

Hm, yes, that was me, too. :) And I stated the opposite of you: rather a
fricative in German (among other realizations), and rather a trill in French
(but I'm not sure about it).

>My relatives on my father's side are
>Swabian, and they live mostly in communities near Stuttgart.  I have never
>visited them, alas, even when I was in Switzerland.  No time or money.  So
>what would my pronunciation of /r/ be for that region?

I don't know. I just know it's [r] in western Switzerland and [R\] in
eastern Switzerland, both regions being "rhotic", that is, without
vowelization (is this the word?).

>I might pay a
>visit, since I'm also interested in the Zwiefalten MS that is housed in the
>library there.

Medieval manuscripts? Have you seen the digitalizations of the Biblotheca
Palatina of Heidelberg:

http://www.ub.uni-heidelberg.de/helios/fachinfo/www/kunst/digi/welcome.html

gry@s:
j. 'mach' wust