CONLANG  January 2005, Week 3

CONLANG January 2005, Week 3

Re: is there a Latin-Chinese conlang?

Muke Tever <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 18 Jan 2005 18:49:02 -0700

Pascal A. Kramm <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 23:01:14 +0200, Rodlox <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>> out of curiosity, has anyone ever created a Latin-Chinese conlang?
>
> No. Because of the large geographical distance it would be highly
> improbable... but don't let that stop you.

Latin != Roman.

Latin was still being used around the time contact with Japan became
common--I know at least Ioannes Petrus Maffeius was writing about Japan
(and inflecting Japanese words as Latin, albeit spelling them funny) in
the sixteenth century[1]--Chinese, which was already known to the
ancient Romans, wouldn't be too much of a stretch at all.

(And no, I havnt made a Latin-Chinese conlang.  The closest I have is
http://wiki.frath.net/Latin_Pinyin  ... a rough system for transcribing
Chinese into roughly Classical Latin spelling.)

	*Muke!
[1] _Historiarum Indicarum_, 1589.
--
website:     http://frath.net/
LiveJournal: http://kohath.livejournal.com/

FrathWiki, a conlang and conculture wiki:
http://wiki.frath.net/