CONLANG  January 2005, Week 3

CONLANG January 2005, Week 3

Re: THEORY: Ergativity and polypersonalism

caeruleancentaur <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 20 Jan 2005 12:52:39 -0000

Rene Uittenbogaard <ruittenb@W...> wrote:

>>I *so* recognize this :D  A few months ago, I happened on a website
>>about Dutch grammar (my L1), and I discovered quite some
>>interesting things about Dutch.

Being a native speaker is a very tenuous credential for knowing the
grammar of one's L1.  I know plenty of Americans who don't know an
indirect object from a relative clause.  Seeing what passes for
English in chat rooms & groups chills this old English major's
heart.  Not to mention the lack of spelling skills.

Tristan McLeay wrote:

>whereas English might say '... with John, the butcher; Jack, the
>tailer; Sally; the greengrocer and the Prime Minister' (five people),

Rene Uittenbogaard <ruittenb@W...> wrote:

>>That's brilliant! I'll start using the semicolon in Dutch for this
>>purpose from now on.

What a delightful response!  I love it.  You might like to know that
a comma before the "and" in the chain seems to be becoming more de
rigueur.

Charlie
http://wiki.frath.net/User:Caeruleancentaur

P.S. I learned yesterday how to write (type) the Cyrillic alphabet.
One small step forward....  I've begun to include them in my grammar
on my Wiki site.

--- End forwarded message ---