AUXLANG February 2005, Week 3

Re: Least common denominator

"Donald J. HARLOW" <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 17 Feb 2005 12:35:16 -0800

Je 10.49 atm 2005.02.17, Antony ALEXANDER skribis
>Thanks for your response, Don.

Ne dankinde!

>You're quite right. I was thinking about the whole body of constructed
>languages (authors of
>conlangs/artlangs in particular tend to be sticklers for consistent
>grammatical rules with no
>exceptions) but actually wrote "significant conIALs" and, below that,
>"auxlangs".
>
>A point I raised here some months ago (and George Borree, who disputed
>some of my other
>theories, agreed) is that a consensus seems to exist among auxlangers re
>the desirability of the
>following:
>
>(a) alphabetic script - logographic scripts take many times longer to learn

This is true _if_ (and perhaps _only if_) the alphabetic script is used
properly and consistently. I noticed, a long time ago, that American grade
school students generally put in a number of hours learning to spell that
is comparable to the number that Chinese kids spend learning their ideograms.

Also, there was a study a couple of years ago that found that the incidence
of dyslexia in English-speaking countries is roughly twice what it is in
countries such as Italy. I wonder whether this particular disorder is to be
found in China.

The point of "proper and consistent", of course, you address in point (b)
below.

>(b) orthographic script - one-to-one correspondence between letters and
>sounds with no
>duplicated or silent letters
>
>(c) regular grammar, with the simplest possible rules, and no exceptions
>
>(d) no linguistic genders

This raised an interesting point in my mind. "Gender" is a characteristic
of a noun which causes associated words to change form depending on what
the gender of the original word may be. We who speak both English and
Esperanto are quite proud of the fact that neither of them has "gender"
(for instance, there is no change in associated adjectives). Yet in both
languages, the pronoun that is used in place of the noun in question may
change -- more so in English than in Esperanto (where certain classes of
non-animate objects are generally referred to as "she" rather than "it").
Does this, then, mean that English and Esperanto in fact have "gender" and
we just don't recognize it?

>(e) an international vocabulary - with the eventual goal of words from as
>many languages as
>possible

The term "international" in this context has never been well-defined to my
satisfaction. Does this mean that

(a) words should be selected so that they are recognizable to speakers of
the greatest number of languages (Interlingua internationality), or

(b) words should be selected so that they are recognizable to the greatest
number of people (Jespersenian internationality), or

(c) the entire corpus of words should be selected so that as many languages
as possible are represented, regardless of the recognizability of those
words (modern "politically correct" internationality)?

(Note that it is not clear to me how successfully _any_ of these three
criteria have ever been applied in actual practice. As for (c), it's worth
noting that if, as is sometimes quoted, there are some 6 000 languages in
the world, and a planned language -- like Esperanto -- only has somewhat
more than 4 000 official roots, obviously some languages are going to be
shorted, even if you select only one root from any given language.)

>(f) no synonyms - only one word or name for each thing

This is doable -- until the moment that your language emerges from your
desk into the light of day and people start speaking it. _Then_ you will
find synonyms coming out of your wazoo. Partly, this is due to the way that
different people (even different individuals within the same cultural
matrix) map the semantic terrain of the words they are given; for many,
there will be overlaps, and these will propagate as synonymous usage, even
if the words in question weren't originally intended for this. You'll also
have the "literateurs", who insist that, because you can't use the same
word twice in a given paragraph or page or chapter, you _need_ synonyms,
and lots of them. (For the argument in Esperanto, see, i.a., the work of
the "Praga Skolo", notably Josef Rumler's "Abunde kaj redunde" -- I can
assure you, however, that his proposed synonym to "adiaux", "sajonaraux",
never became particularly popular.)

>Any other essential attributes for an initial conIAL (auxlang) to be
>launched globally (throughout
>the civilised world) in the not-tto-distant future? I'd further suggest:
>
>(g) a preliminary international core vocabulary
>
>(h) a restricted phonology, with no consonant clusters etc.
>
>(i) neither too exact a specification of speech sounds nor any initial
>ruling on stress, pitch, tone
>etc.
>
>(j) a UN (or its successor) with teeth, capable of implementing such a program
>
>(k) a means for preventing the said global authority from becoming an
>oppressive tyranny and the
>IAL from turning into Newspeak.

See my last point above. Unless you have an armed linguistic police force
capable of enforcing grammatical and semantic rules -- just the thing you
want to avoid -- this is inevitable. (*)

---

(*) Something like this has been done on a small scale -- a number of
Esperanto summer camps in the old USSR, and, I believe, more recently in
Russia, have implemented "language police" to make sure that there is no
"crocodiling" (speaking in Russian rather than Esperanto). This appeared to
work, though sanctions were very light (put a kopek in a can when somebody
catches you deviating, that sort of thing) and disappeared, of course, when
the camps concluded. Had there been more draconian sanctions, I'm sure that
the camps in question would have quickly broken up (at least in the USSR,
they were operating outside official purview anyway).

-- Don HARLOW