Re: Which part of speech?

David Peterson <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 11 May 2005 13:25:57 -0700

Ray responding to Chris:
<<
In short, no arguments so far presented dissuade me from the notion that
'today', 'tomorrow', 'yesterday', 'tonight' may function in _English_
either as nouns or as adverbs. As for 'last night' in "I was reading the
CONLANG list last night.", my empirical approach says just this:
- 'night' is a noun
- 'last night' is a noun phrase with the adjective 'last' qualifying the
noun 'night'
- the phrase 'last night' in "I was reading the CONLANG list last night."
functions as an adverb (of time).

I agree completely.

One thing that the whole discussion might have brought to light is
the fact that syntacticians and conlangers are often (not necessarily,
but often) working at cross purposes.  Quoting Ray who was quoting
Gregory:

<<
> I think the
> best solution is to have "today", etc. as nouns, with qualitative forms
> derived from them.

I think that may well be the best solution in your conlang.

That's the real point.  No matter what any syntactic theory calls "today"
in English, the fact remains that the distribution of these guys is
different, and that different languages can deal with them differently.
Simply calling something like "today" an NP or PP with a null P is
missing the point from a conlanging point of view.  To put it in
simplistic terms, it's better for a conlanger to see things as different,
whereas it's better for a syntactician to see things as the same.

Now let me qualify that simplistic statement.  I can't access
Chris's original reply to my reply, but he made the point that no
syntactic theory accounts for everything (which is true), and
that a syntactic theory not account for everything is not
unforgiveable.  This is also true--from the point of a syntactician.
For a conlanger, though, there aren't going to be areas of a
language which are going to be leveled because they don't fit
with a syntactic theory.  The solution needs to make sense
from the standpoint of the language itself.  If a particular
syntactic theory can predict that, great.  If it can't, that's not a
problem for the language creator.  It's also not a problem
for the syntactician, from this standpoint.

Now, instead of thinking about creating a language to which
a syntactic theory is applied (which would be no different
than applying a syntactic theory to a natural language), think
about creating a language *from* a syntactic theory.  Everything
that that theory can't account for, or for which it has a poor
account, will be reflected in the language.  Additionally, every
assumption it makes will also be made in the language.  This
is a problem when working with something like Chomskyan
syntax, which is notoriously Anglocentric.  Different people
have applied Minimalism to non-English languages (for a
conlang-related example, see Matt Pearson's work on
Malagasy, which, I'm afraid to say, I couldn't make heads or
tails of), using that framework as an example, but changes
need to be made to it, which are not obvious from the standpoint
of the theory itself.  Occasionally these changes morph into
new theories, and the set of assumptions changes.

The main point, I think, is this: Blind assumptions about the
way language works in general are not inherently useful to a
language creator.  Every syntactic theory makes assumptions
about the way language works.  So when examining natural
language data, it's not useful to say what a given syntactic
theory says about that data.  Rather, distributional, descriptive
evidence is most useful, so that the conlanger can take away
whatever generalizations they formulate on their own, without
having to accept both a syntactic analysis and a syntactic
framework.

For that reason, I think Ray's answer, which I quoted at the
beginning, is the most useful.  Besides, while one syntactic
analysis may seem right to some, it may seem really, *really*
wrong to others, in which case the questioner is left with an
argument about abstractions, rather than descriptive
generalizations (note: *generalizations* not, rules) derived from
actual language data.

-David