CONLANG  June 2005, Week 5

CONLANG June 2005, Week 5

Re: The future of (C-X-)SAMPA (was: New listserv, better unicode?)

Stephen Mulraney <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 30 Jun 2005 14:26:17 +0100

On 6/30/05, Henrik Theiling <[log in to unmask]> wrote:> Hi!> > Remi Villatel <[log in to unmask]> writes:> >...> > One question came to mind when I saw all this Unicode stuff on the list:> >> > Is there still a use for CXS if everybody switches to Unicode?> > No, but not everyone will switch, so the 'if' is the important thing.> I myself want to be able to read the list with a text-only non-Unicode> aware software.  Moreover, I cannot type in Unicode.
I wouldn't suggest for a moment that Unicode replace CXS. Unicode putssome demands on the person who wants to see it, not just on thosethat want to send it. You need to correctly configure your mailer, oreven use a different one in some cases. Also, fonts that are both notugly and contain the IPA range are desirable. And it's not always easyto tell what fonts a successfully configured application *is* using...(although I *think* when I see successful Unicode IPA in thunderbird,it's using the lovely Gentium. Firefox claims not to know about Gentium,but it looks like it's using it...)
My interest in Unicode on the list comes from my interest in orthographies.My conlangs have usually had pretty weird looking Latin or Cyrillic basedorthographies. and I like to use the same scheme, as much as possible.in both notebooks and computer files - and in examples I've sent to thelist in the past. Some examples from past posts, from when mypermanently unfinished (better, unbegun) lang was called ML4:
>>_uktëk cnuldzuńëħ kète_ ["}kt@k "tsn}ldZ}_nj@h keT_je]
>> äldò    |ældø|     [{ld2]:       three [<<aldh]>> gäțeczr |gæθʲetʃɾ| [g{T_jetS4]:  watch-tower, (generally) tower [<<gabtesor]>> hròlțòw |xɾølθøv|  [x42lT2v]:    to go down, descend [<<rú-lhá(m)-teivú]>> laŭął   |lɑwɔl̴|    [lAwOl=e]:    city, [laufe-heile]>> mnițò   |mʲnʲiθø|  [m_jn_jiT2]:  four [<<amnéth]>> cząd̦liëhązio |tʃɔðʲl̴ʲəxɔzʲu| [tSOD_jl_e_j@xOz_ju]: officer, commander;
Sure, when sending to the list, I could use some unpretty ASCIIification, butthat would seem to defeat the purpose, like giving phonetic details in a "soundslike" scheme, or just omitting the conlang completely and giving aninterlinear :).
But I'd usually try to provide an ASCII equivalent (like the CXS in the aboveexamples). The Unicode is just an extra for them as can read it.
PS.. Do my messages come through mangled? In general, or just when Iinclude Unicode. I'm thinking of the copy of one of my emails yesterday thatI saw through it being quoted in a reply of Mark's - it lacked linebreaks ina semi-thorough way
s.-- Work is of two kinds: first, altering the position of        Stephen Mulraneymatter at or near the earth's surface relative           [log in to unmask] to other matter; second, telling other people     http://ataltane.ath.cx:8181to do so.         --  Bertrand Russell            http://livejournal.com/~ataltane