Re: Thunder Storms

"Rogers, Donald" <[log in to unmask]>

Rogers, Donald

Mon, 18 Jul 2005 13:27:33 -0400

Connie and all:

The following is from Appendix F of the book 'Cycle Austria and Beyond'
by Thomas Webb, and encapsulates the common cycling wisdom of handling
thunderstorms. Note that others recommend the complete avoidance of
trees within a radius of 100 feet or so when possible.

Also watch for flooding conditions, large puddles (you can never tell
what wheel-eating hazards may lie under the water's surface), fallen and
falling branches, and skittish drivers -- leave a lot of room!

------------------------------------

Surviving a thunderstorm

A PREPAREDNESS GUIDE for severe weather is published by the U.S.
National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration/National Weather
Service. I have excerpted the following points on protection from
lightning, and adapted some of them for cyclists' special situation on
the road, where there may not be any effective shelter accessible if a
storm is imminent. The NWS has reviewed and approved my adaptations.

 	Cyclists on the road are most at risk from thunderstorms if they
are
under or near tall trees, are on or near hilltops, or are themselves
high points on flat terrain (such as crossing an open field).
 	Lightning often strikes outside of heavy rain and may occur as
far as
10 miles away from any rainfall.
 	Rubber-soled shoes and rubber tires provide NO protection from
lightning.
 	If you can hear thunder, you are close enough to the storm to be
struck by lightning. Look for safe shelter immediately!
 	When skies darken, look AND listen for
		Increasing wind
		Flashes of lightning
	 	Sound of thunder
 	Lightning remains a danger even when a thunderstorm is
dissipating or
has passed by.

When thunderstorms approach . . .

 	If you are on a hill with exposure to the sky, try to head
downhill,
seeking out an overhanging bluff or a valley or ravine where you can
lower your exposure.
 	Move to a sturdy building or shelter if there is one within
reach
(such as an underpass, a large barn, a store or railroad station). Do
not take shelter in small sheds or under isolated trees.
 	However, get to higher ground if flash flooding is possible
where you
are (such as by a creek bed).

If caught outdoors and no shelter is nearby . . .

 	Find a low spot away from trees, fences, and poles. Make sure
the
place you pick is not subject to flash flooding.
 	If you are in the woods, take shelter under the shorter trees.
(Lightning is more likely to strike the tallest trees.)
 	If you feel your skin tingle or your hair stand on end, dismount
fast,
get away from your bike, and squat low to the ground on the balls of
your feet. Place your hands on your knees with your head between them.
Make yourself the smallest target possible, and minimize your contact
with the ground.

Don

Bike to Brown discussion list:
http://listserv.brown.edu/archives/bike-to-brown.html