CONLANG  August 2005, Week 1

CONLANG August 2005, Week 1

Re: THEORY: Non-nom Subj & Nom Obj -- Quirky OVS Word Order Or Quirky Case?

tomhchappell <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 4 Aug 2005 22:40:37 -0000

Thanks for writing, Henrik.

--- In [log in to unmask], Henrik Theiling <theiling@A...> wrote:
> tomhchappell <tomhchappell@Y...> writes:
> > [snip]
> > I hope that didn't delay your answer, if you have one.
>
> It didn't -- I had no good one.

The answer you just gave is a good one, to me.

> [snip]
> It's still a funny phenomenon and I'd like to understand it better,

Amen.

> especially would like to know whether
> there is a formal definition of
> 'subject' (maybe with special emphasis on German and Icelandic).  I
> tend to avoid that term, since I don't know exactly what it means.
>
> Anyway, using some tests, you can check that the status of the
> nominative object is different from a nominative subject, namely by
> checking whether it can be referred back to in a coordinated clause
> from an ellipsis.

> IIRC, it was Markus who mentioned this a few days ago.

I remember Markus's answer as being helpful, informative, and
evocative of further thought and study; but if he specifically
included the answer you are giving here, he must have implied it or
encapsulated it, or I lost it amid the other information he provided.

> Usually:
>
> a) Ich trinke Bier und []  esse Wurst
>    NOM        ACC      NOM      ACC.
>    I   drink  beer and [] eat  sausage
>    'I'm drinking beer and [I] am eating sausage.'
>
> (Gap marked with [].)
>
> In the second clause, the (nominative) subject is the same as in the
> first clause and can be dropped.  Order does not matter, but
> subjecthood + case does (as we saw earlier, subjecthood alone is not
> enough in German):
>
> b) Bier trinke ich und []  esse Wurst.
>    ACC         NOM     NOM       ACC
>    'It's beer I'm drinking and [I] eat sausage.'
>
> As an important test later, I'd note here that ellipsis on objects
> is ungrammatical:
>
> a') *Ich trinke Bier und []   sieht der Mann.
>      NOM        ACC      ACC        NOM
>     *'I trink beer and the man sees [beer]'.
>
> b') *Bier trinke ich und []  sieht der Mann.
>      ACC         NOM     ACC       NOM
>     *'Beer is what I drink and the man sees [it]'.
>
> or  *Bier trinke ich und der Mann sieht [].
>      ACC         NOM     NOM            ACC
>      -"-
>
> This also works with datives, btw:
>
> a2) Ich entsage dem Wein und []  trinke Bier.
>     NOM         DAT          NOM        ACC.
>     I   abdicate the wine and [] drink beer.
>     'I abdicate the wine and [I] drink beer (instead).'

'Abdicate'?!?  Dang, Germans take soft liquor kind of seriously, huh?

> b2) Dem Wein entsage ich und [] trinke Bier.
>     DAT              NOM               ACC
>
> a2') *Ich entsage dem Wein und der Mann spricht []  zu.
>       NOM         DAT          NOM              DAT
>      *'I abdicate the wine and the man does justice to [the wine].'

'Justice', too, huh?

>      Again, dative ellipsis does not work here.
>
> Again,  word order doesn't matter in the second
> clause either:
>
> a2'') *Ich entsage dem Wein und [] spricht der Mann zu.
>        NOM         DAT          DAT        NOM
>
> b2'') *Dem Wein entsage ich und [] spricht der Mann zu.
>        DAT              NOM     DAT        NOM
>
> And with genitives:
>
> a3) Ich harre des Mannes und [] friere.
>     NOM       GEN
>     I   wait  the man and [] am_cold.
>     'I'm waiting for the man and [I] am cold.'
>
> b3) Des Mannes harre ich und [] friere.
>     GEN              NOM
>
> a3') <give me a second verb that takes a genitive object and
>       I'll give you a sentence in return.>

Sorry, can't think of one right off the bat.
When I do think of one, it probably won't be in German.

> That's the 'normal' cases.
> Now let's use the quirky case examples and check whether they behave
> the same:
>
> c) Mir schmeckt das Bier.
>    DAT          NOM
>    I   like     the beer.
>
> Technically, the case assignment is like the first clause in b2).
> But
> still, it's different: the difference is that you *cannot* drop 'the
> beer' in a coordinated clause that would have it is nominative:
>
> d) *Mir schmeckt   das Bier und []  fällt um.
>     DAT            NOM          NOM
>     I   like[food] the beer and     falls___
>    *'I like the beer and it falls.'
>
> That's ungrammatical.  So 'Bier' is probably does not have the same
> function in the first clause, since then you'd probably predict that
> sentence to be grammatical.  This is in constrast to c).
>
> You must use a pronoun to make it grammatical:
>
> d2) Mir schmeckt   das Bier und es fällt um.
>     DAT like[food]             'it'
>
> But interestingly, you can use a gap for 'mir':
>
> d') Mir schmeckt   das Bier und gefällt der Raum.
>     DAT            NOM                  NOM
>     I   like[food] the beer and like    the room.
>
> This is in contrast to a2') etc.  Again, it shows that this is
> different.
>
> But OTOH, for some strange reason, if 'beer' is in front, it *does*
> become grammatical with an ellipsis, too:
>
> e)  Das Bier schmeckt mir und []  fällt um.
>     NOM               DAT     NOM
>
> Now this is funny. :-)
>

> Let's check whether it is animacy that matters:
>
> f)  Der Bus überfährt   den Mann und []  bremst.
>     NOM                 ACC          NOM
>     The bus drives_over the man  and     brakes.
>
>     OK.
>
> g)  Den Mann überfährt der Bus und []  bremst.
>     ACC                NOM         NOM
>
>     OK.
>
> So animacy probably doesn't do much here in German.
>
> Whatever all this tells you about German.
>
> *I* interpret it as a clear indication that
> it's an instance of quirky
> case of the subject and not quirky word order.  The rule being in
> German that
> the *subject* can be elided in a coordinated clause if it
> is in the same case, but regardless of what case exactly it is in.
> OTOH, non-subject arguments cannot be elided, again, regardless of
> the case, nominative included *unless* they are in initial position.
> Funny rules, but that's what the examples show.
>
> Further, for a subject,
> the sentence initial position seems to be the
> default, unmarked order,
> so you could mistake it has quirky word order
> for subjects in dative case,

As, perhaps, I apparently did?

> but it still behaves differently.
>
> And I understand that the case equality constraint does not exist
> in Icelandic:
> the subject can be elided from a coordinated clause even
> if in a different case.
>
> HTH??

That helped.
(I assume HTH stands for "(I) Hope That Help(s/ed)".)
Thank you.

Now, this is my fourth posting today, so I am not going to start a
new sub-thread, but it seems worth-while to point out that we can (to
a degree) concentrate on the

[QUIRKIEST CASES]

These would be clauses with both a Quirky Subject and a Quirky Object
in the same clause.

There are four sub-kinds,
two for accusative/nominative alignments and two for
ergative/absolutive alignments.

1) Non-Nominative Subject With Nominative Object
2) Non-Accusative Object With Accusative Subject
3) Non-Ergative Subject With Ergative Object
4) Non-Absolutive Object With Absolutive Subject

---

And, of course, there is the question of the "Hyper-Quirky";

5) Are there natlang examples of Accusative Subjects with Nominative
Objects in the same clause?
6) Are there natlang examples of Absolutive Subjects with Ergative
Objects in the same clause?

Thanks for your help.

Tom H.C. in MI