Help for AUXLANG Archives

AUXLANG Archives

AUXLANG@LISTSERV.BROWN.EDU

AUXLANG Home

AUXLANG  August 2005, Week 3

AUXLANG August 2005, Week 3

Learning styles / dead projects (was: World Language)

Thomas Alexander <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 20 Aug 2005 05:52:20 -0700

Paul O'Bartlett wrote:

> AUXLANG is a lot of fun (at least for me), but to
> be bluntly honest, I really don't know what it has
> accomplished beyond disseminating specific tidbits
> of information. (That in itself is useful, however.)

Useful, but only to an extent.  If it weren't for
Auxlang, I probably would not speak Interlingua.  I
suspect, however, that if the same effort had been
put into promoting Interlingua elsewhere, it would
have had better results in terms of numbers.  I also
question whether I'm the best "convert" for
Interlingua, since I've basically just picked up the
ability to read and write it, not necessarily a
passion for the language.

> However, individuals' aptitudes for learning after
> puberty seem to vary.

I sometimes wonder whether what I have is not a
"knack for language", but rather the lack of sense
required to devote insane amounts of time to the
task.  I suspect that better men than you and I could
devote pages debating this line and a half which I
just quoted.

> You just weren't around during the Bob Petry wars.
> :-) He was an advocate of Speedwords before he took
> off with Occidental.

I started with Esperanto in 1997.  At that time,
Esperanto was already well established on the web
and there clearly was already some history.  (These
are my recollections of my first impressions.)  One
of the major sites at the time -- the letter K comes
to mind, perhaps Ken Cavinis or something similar --
had a comparison of various projects and advocated
that the person interested in the IAL idea should
simply pick one language and support it.  (I hope I
am not mixing up several different stories as I
remember all this.)  I recall that this particular
author recommended Esperanto (because it's big enough
to actually use) or Speed Words (because it's useful
for personal stenography.)  I had assumed way back
when that this was a common attitude.  I hadn't
thought about this for a long time -- not till I
read Jim V's note.

> It was not so much that he jumped on the Occidental
> bandwagon as that he grabbed the harness poles and
> started pulling. How far that particular wagon ever
> got I don't know, because he renounced all of us and
> said that he would have nothing further to do with
> AUXLANG.

I see a touch of wisdom in his apparent insanity.
As a dog to his vomit, Thomas returns to Auxlang.

As long as I'm spouting impressions, when I read
through the description of Intal, I was again struck
by a list of projects which includes Novial and
Occidental.  This was in a pamphlet from 1978.  Was
support for these two languages comparable to the
support for Ido and Interlingua that recently, or was
the author holding onto ideas formed well before that
(much as Lord Vulaik does when discussing other
projects)?

> Not an Irish bone in my body, so far as I know.
> (To be honest, I don't find it funny.)

If you found it offensive, please accept my apology.
Can I still call you O'Bartlett if I leave out the
Irish part?

Concerning my perception that human beings can learn
languages better if they accept that our brains have
evolved to process language primarily as a spoken
phenomenon and whether that's just my own personal
learning style, I'm tempted to give at least a short
reply.

On this topic you wrote:
> I was thirteen when I first tried to learn a
> language (French, in my case), and I was always
> better with the written form than the spoken.
> That remains so for me.

I don't think this necessarily refutes my point.
When it comes to a second language, many (maybe even
a majority of) people are better at reading and
writing than speaking and listening.  For one, when
reading and writing, you can proceed at your own pace
-- as fast or slow as you want.  You don't have to
time yourself to a conversational partner.  Also, it
takes time and effort to train your ears and speech
organs to foreign sounds.  If we add on top of that
the fact that many French words look just like
English but sound entirely different, it's not at all
surprising that you did better at reading.

For my own part, I've learned a little French from
tapes and I've learned a little French from reading.
I do okay at both, but I can get much more out of
a French newspaper than a French radio broadcast.  To
a large extent, I perceive French as two different
languages.  Some day I'm going to spend a little time
learning to connect the sounds I hear on the tapes
with the words I see in the books, but as of yet,
French is for me two different languages.

> In fact, apart from my own reading aloud, which I
> don't do much of, I have heard precisely one (count
> 'em) sentence ever spoken in Interlingua, but I can
> read and write it.

We've discussed this before.  I can accept that people
learn in different ways, but I still suspect that you
don't fully see what I'm trying to say.  I suspect
that if you wanted to learn 100 new words of
Interlingua from flashcards, that you'd learn them
faster if you did both -- look at them and then say
the word aloud with the translation.  I'm also saying
that your success in reading Interlingua visually is
largely dependent on the fact that you learned English
aurally.

I very much think of myself as a visual learner as
well.  When I found myself mixing up the words
"raspilo" and "rastilo" in Esperanto, I literally
drew a picture of the word "rasPilo" with grated
cheese falling through the hole in the upper case
P, and of the word "rasTilo" with a rake in place
of the letter T.  Even as a kid, I remember using
visual clues like this.  The word "bed" looks like
a bed.  You can put your head on the round part of
the "b", your body on the "e", and your feet on the
round part of the "d".  If you ever forget which way
a lower case "d" or "b" face, just imagine trying to
sleep on a "deb".  There'd be no place to put your
head of your feet.  No kidding.  This is how I used
to remember this.

Anyway, my point is that visual learners can benefit
from a "multimedia" approach to learning (a point on
which I think we already agree) and that even being
a visual learner doesn't mean we're not bound by our
own evolution (a point which you probably still don't
agree with.)

Amike salutas,
Thomas/Tomaso ALEXANDER.
www.NightinGael.Net
---Anything below this line is not from Thomas ---

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs