AUXLANG August 2005, Week 3

Sapir: Auxlang as pedagogical tool?

Thomas Alexander <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 20 Aug 2005 07:52:08 -0700

Hello All,

One of the messages I've been holding on to intent on
forming a reply is one from 28 June by Shane Sniffen.
Shane's note (or at least the copy of it which I still
have) began with a reference to the following article
by E.Sapir as readable from James C's web site:

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Forum/5037/sapir.html

I'll admit that while I did pull up a copy of the
article, I have not taken the time to read every word
of it, since it seems that it was referenced mainly as
a general introduction to the idea of using an
artificial language as part of a curriculum of
general language learning.  (Shane, please correct me
if I am wrong.)

Among the questions Shane asked:

> Is it worth it? Will teaching children an auxlang
> designed to illustrate principles of linguistic
> structure and semantics be more effective in this
> goal than would simply offering classes in
> linguistics itself?

If nothing else, this question illustrates the biggest
hurdle to this idea -- selling it to the public.  It
is anti-intuitive that if one wants to learn French
that one would start out by learning something other
than French.  We can acknowledge that much truth in
life starts out as anti-intuitive, but nevertheless,
it would not be easy to sell this idea without a solid
and repeatable track record.

Analogies (true or false) can sometimes be useful in
overcoming this kind of (false) intuition.  One can
imagine teaching a group of students how to play the
recorder (or even simpler whistle-type instruments)
for a year or two before giving the option of learning
band instruments.  Through this pre-band learning,
they can learn about musical notation, finger
coordination, articulation, and simple breath control
without needing to decide yet which instrument to
focus on, not to mention the cost and other
difficulties of the other instruments which often
require larger hands and more practice to produce an
acceptable tone.

So, we could imagine a school board telling the
parents "just as we teach recorder for two years as
part of a general music program before offering kids
the option to focus on one specific band instrument,
we are including a year of Esperanto instruction as
part of a general introduction to foreign language
awareness before asking them to focus on one
language."

The biggest gap in this analogy, however, is that
(in America, at least) the public at large does not
want their kids to learn a whole array of languages
just as they want them to learn an array of band
instruments.  They want their kids to learn Spanish.
If all the kids in the school are going to learn to
play English horn, one might question why we're buying
a bunch of recorders when a bunch of half-sized
English horns might seem more appropriate.

My son (already fluent in Esperanto) will be starting
regular school this fall.  At his school, they're
doing the linguistic equivalent of just that.  They
have a full time Spanish teacher who teaches Spanish
to all the classes.  Even the kindergarteners will
get almost an hour of Spanish instruction a week.  All
the parents immediately see the value to this, and
even I, an advocate of the kind of preparatory
instruction which Sapir wrote about, must admit that
if the district keeps this up in the grades and years
to come, these students will have a good grasp on
Spanish for sure.

My answer to your question is yes, as a *part* of a
curriculum in general linguistics, an artificial
language can be a great tool.  Again, however, the
idea is so anti-intuitive, that it's very hard to
sell.

A second question:
> If such a program were enacted, which type(s) of
> IALs (or simply ALs) would be most appropriate?

When I was making the decision to speak Esperanto at
home (before I actually had any kids), I pondered this
same question.  Initially, I didn't envision that my
kids would be involved with the Esperanto community in
any way, so I felt free to consider alternatives which
would advance the goal of being able to learn other
languages in the future.  I thought about replacing
all the English-looking words with Japanese words and
other changes.  In the end, I thought better of this.

(Al iuj esperantistoj kiuj pripensas paroli Esperanton
hejme, mi povas konsili nur ke la ellernado de la
lingvo gxis la necesa nivelo por paroli gxin cxiutage
al infano estas grandega, kaj ke vi bezonos la
subtenon de multaj Esperantistoj; ne pripensu intencan
modifon de la lingvo.  Nur pro la ebleco havi infan-
librojn en Esperanto indas uzi normalan Esperanton.)

> Seemingly the more regular languages (Esperanto,
> Ido, even Volapuk) would be more beneficial than
> ones like Interlingua, which sacrifice linguistic
> rigour for recognizability.

I don't think so.  The differences would be small.
One could argue that Esperanto would force more
attention on parts of speech (with the grammatical
endings) and that Interlingua would put more emphasis
on etymology, but the main advantage of using an
artificial language is that we can introduce concepts
such as adjectival agreement without requiring the
students to memorize three different tables with four
different columns of four or more rows each.
Interlingua is far more regular than this.

If anything, I suppose one could argue that
Interlingua would be *too* easy for this purpose.
(Heck, it doesn't even *have* adjectival agreement.)
I can think of two reference to Interlingua in
schools.  Ingvar Stenström apparently used it in his
classes.  There's also a reference to a British
teacher in the article "Krokodili Esperantlingve"
and the suggestion there is that the students weren't
so much learning Interlingua, but were learning to
plug Interlingua words into English sentences.  I
notice a little bit of that on Interlng from time to
time.

I suppose an ideal "teaching language" could be
constructed ("ideal" in the sense of "better than the
existing alternatives), but my thought is that
Esperanto, Ido, or Interlingua are already suitable.
(Going back to my earlier analogy, we can also imagine
little whistle-blown b-flat clarinet-fingered
instruments which would be a better introduction to
band instruments than the recorder, but with the
recorder, at least there's the chance that you'll
see another one some day and be able to pick it up
to play it -- or you can join a society like I have.)
From what little I know of the other languages you
mentioned, I can't imagine those being used.

> (Certainly Esperanto taught to Chinese students
> wouldn't help as much in learning Japanese..
> or would it?)

I would argue that it would.  First, it would prepare
them for the concept of learning words from another
language.  It would also have helped them to break
free of the idea that learning a language means
plugging foreign words into your native grammar.
I can also say that from my own experience, Esperanto
helped me learn Japanese.  In some cases, I've seen
beginner Japanese books with confusing lengthy
explanations of certain details.  Once I've worked
through them, I realize that the whole thing could
have been said clearly with two lines if only the
author could have assumed that the reader knew
Esperanto.

One additional side note, I see you didn't mention
"The Elephant's Memory."  That's a great fun language
for educational purposes.

Amike salutas,
Thomas/Tomaso ALEXANDER.
www.NightinGael.Net
---Anything below this line is not from Thomas ---

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs