CONLANG  November 2005, Week 4

CONLANG November 2005, Week 4

Hail Mary

caeruleancentaur <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 28 Nov 2005 18:34:49 -0000

Perhaps those who are Catholic would like to translate the "Hail
Mary" into their conlang, if it has not already been done on the
list. I, by no means, exclude others.  I simply believe it might
have more meaning for Catholics who might like to pray in their
conlang.

For those who don't know the prayer:

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with you.  Blessed are you
among women and blessed is the fruit of your womb, Jesus.  (Taken
from St. Luke's Gospel and translated from the Greek).

Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour
of our death.  Amen.  (Added by the Christian community and
translated from the Latin).

Senjecan: Please forgive me.  I still can't distinguish // from [].
If I have used it correctly with the following, please let me know.

q = /G/;  = palatalization;  = epenthetic /E/;  = labialization;
 = m_0;  = j_0; j = j; t/d, /, /l are dentals.

Hyphens are used solely for parsing.

STAT. = stative case.

vnd-e,  mq-a-u, r-un tu-s- sna n--s-a (1).
hail-imper. VOC.particle favor-patient.part.-VOC.sg. lord-NOM.sg.
2sg.-STAT.sg.-epenthetic with 3sg-pres.-be-indic.

gen-s (2) entra sus-g-a-un t--s-a.
woman-STAT.pl. among well-say-patient part.-NOM.sg. 2sg.-pres.-be-
indic.

tu-glv-os vrg-un (3) js-un sus-g-a-un n--es-a.
you-womb-STAT.sg. fruit-NOM.sg. Jesus-NOM.sg. well-say-patient part.-
NOM.sg. 3sg.-pres.-be-indic.

 sc-u mr-u (4), dej-m-a, u-s ag-si o t-i-ml-e,
VOC.particle holy-VOC.sg. Mary-VOC.sg. god-mother-VOC.sg. 1pl.-
STAT.pl. sinner-STAT.pl. for 2sg.-pres.-pray-imper.

nu u-jm-as tn-as-ce.  m-i-vnd-a (5).
now 1pl.-death-STAT.sg. hour-STAT.sg-and 1sg.-pres.-agree-indic.

(1) Before a verb root beginning with a vowel, mi-, ti-, etc., are
palatalized, _e.g._ misa (3 syllables) becomes msa (2 syllables).

(2) Likewise with an -i plural ending before a vowel, _e.g._ gensi
entra (6 syllables) becomes gens entra (5 syllables).

(3) vrgon, fruit, is normally in the -on class that names
inanimate objects.  But, since it refers here to a loquent being
Jesus, it is put in the -un class.

(4) I have transliterated the Hebrew word _Maryam_ for Mary, which
becomes _Mrun_ in Senjecan.

(5) A weak translation for "amen."  I will have to come up with
something else.

Charlie
http://wiki.frath.net/user:caeruleancentaur