CONLANG  November 2005, Week 5

CONLANG November 2005, Week 5

Re: Hail Mary

Roger Mills <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 29 Nov 2005 01:41:47 -0500

> Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with you.  Blessed are you
> among women and blessed is the fruit of your womb, Jesus.  (Taken
> from St. Luke's Gospel and translated from the Greek).
>
> Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour
> of our death.  Amen.  (Added by the Christian community and
> translated from the Latin).

Kash:
te manomo mariyaye, iyale yandin šehamala. Prakarona hat alo yuno kašumili,
i prakarona yemoni parumalti, Yesu.

Mariya prakarona, parinde šehanga, pakrimašemaka ušombim, tayanju i ri aroni
akorembim. endo sa˝.

Interlinear:
te ma-nomo mariya-e, i-ale yam-tin šehama-la
2s/dat I-greet M-dat. 3pl-be with-you/acc sprit-pl

Par-karona  hat alo yuno kašum-ila-i
HON-blessed you from all woman-pl-gen.

i  par-karona yemo-ni par-umal-ti Yesu
and HON-blessed fruit-POSS HON-womb-2sPOSS Jesus

Mariya par-karona, par-inde šehama-ka(le), par-himašema-ka
M.  HON-blessed  HON-mother spirit-ADJ  HON-pray(to-sprits)-IMP

ušom-mim  taya-anju  i  ri aroni  a˝-horem-mim.     endo  sa˝
benefit-our this-time and LOC hour-POSS NOML-die-our OPT thus

Literally: I greet you Mary, the spirits are with you. Blessed thou out-of
all women, and blessed fruit-of your-womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary, spiritual mother, pray(-to-the-spirits) for-us, now and at the
hour of our death. May-it-be so.

The par-/pra honorific prefix is frequent. _karona_ can mean both 'blessed'
and 'holy, sacred'. Changes have been made to adapt it to Kash beliefs; no
intent to offend.

It's a lovely prayer; I say it (in Engl. or Latin) whenever I'm in a plane
taking off....:-))) (Not a Catholic, but I once had tendencies toward High
Church Episcopalianism).

Eventually I'll put this up on my website along with the Paternoster (at
http://cinduworld.tripod.com/paternoster.htm ) -- which I've just had some
trouble accessing, don't know why. I just hope it's Tripod's fault, not mine
:-((((

(We're working on the Herrick couplet, but having trouble with "_by_ a
tear", as others have noted. I'm not sure a specific word is needed for this
sense-- note that in many contexts, it's not necessary:

"You need to lengthen it (by) an inch"....etc.