Re: Prov Cycle and Tuning up

GeWilli <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 6 Feb 2006 12:57:32 -0500

As I've said before - often, assuming properly lube dirt on the
outside is just dirt on the outside...  the only problem is when it
gets into the chain and between the chain and the cogs...

Power washing can be problematic... but also rather easy and simple,
assuming you use a good water displacing lubricant following the wash
(once the bike is mostly dry) and then follow that up with a bit more
tenacious lube you'll be doing fine...

The power wash can be nice, set it on soapy spray first, then nail it
with the water jets... juts don't nuke the bottom bracket (part of the
frame between the cranks) or the other bearing surfaces, hubs,
headset.  Or ask your favorite LBS (local bike shop) to point out what
you need to avoid with the powerwasher on your bike.

If you have the LBS do the tune ups, the mechanics will gladly take
the time to show you where and how to clean the bike, providing you
make their life easier (cleaner) by cleaning it before bringing it in
for a tune up.

Lubes:  WD-40 is a great water displacing non-degreasing spray.  It is
cheap, harmless (to plastic and metal bits) and will flush the water
out of the small spots.  It is however a terrible lubricant for a bike
chain.  It is one step up from a second ride on white lightning
original formula.  Dry lubes that "suspend" teflon or other
anti-friction stuff in them are crap unless the 'stuff' has a chemical
bonding ability to metal.  IE a moly-di-sulfide based lube would be
the best because the sulfur binds to the metal so well, but has a down
side in that it is dark, black and hard to remove from any surfaces
(skin and clothing included).

If you use a 'dry lube' make sure your chain isn't making any noise..
If you can hear a metallic sound (bushings and little chain bits
hitting cogs) the chain is wearing faster than it should.  Noise is a
bad thing.  A silent chain is the goal.  Dry lube is perfectly
appropriate if you lube the chain after ever ride (with some like
white lightning).  The carrier will evaporate and the suspended junk
(basically teflon grease) will stick in place until the ride is over,
unless you are going a long long way.

But, like cars, many people hear what is going on long before others
do.  Like a car, if the bike is making noise that it didn't when it
was new/properly lubed and tuned, something is wrong, and fixing it
early usually saves you money.

/long winded saga II finished...

Geoff