CONLANG February 2006, Week 2

Re: Thalassan Possessive Suffixes

Rob Haden <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 14 Feb 2006 13:17:23 -0500

On Tue, 14 Feb 2006 17:00:53 +0100, Andreas Johansson <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>This is a pielang, isn't it?

Not quite. It's designed as a "cousin" language to PIE itself (and also
Uralic, among others) via the Nostratic hypothesis.

>Anyway, I like the suffixes.

Thanks! :)

>I do wonder, tho, whether the sound-changes in the pl forms are regular -
>the loss of the second-to-last vowel seems a tad odd.

You could be right. I wanted all of the endings to be monosyllabic, since
most words in Thalassan are at least disyllabic. Also, I assume a shift in
prosody during the (pre)history of the language, from stress-timed to
syllable-timed. Early on, the /i/ of *-mitas and *-thitas became devoiced,
presumably due to stress-timed prosody and the enclisis itself. It was
easy to simply elide the vowel entirely, then.

- Rob