CONLANG  March 2006, Week 4

CONLANG March 2006, Week 4

Re: Furrin phones in my own lect!

Paul Bennett <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 28 Mar 2006 21:11:18 -0500

On Tue, 28 Mar 2006 20:47:47 -0500, Tristan Alexander McLeay
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Dunno about Germans (the ones I've heard either get it right or
> (sometimes) use [v] for /w/), but a Sinhalese-speaker I know says [w]
> for /v/ quite frequently, as well as the reverse.

Are you sure they're not simply saying /v\/, which is phonemic in
Sinhalese, and the closest thing to either [w] or [v] in that language? It
can sound deceptively like the "opposite" member of the pair, when you're
expecting one in particular and get neither.

Paul