CONLANG  March 2006, Week 4

CONLANG March 2006, Week 4

Re: Furrin phones in my own lect!

Philip Newton <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 26 Mar 2006 22:58:28 +0200

On 3/26/06, Herman Miller <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> it's difficult for me to make a distinction
> between words with and without an initial glottal stop. The tendency is
> to add a glottal stop before an initial vowel.

Ah yes, same here. (I believe German has a near-obligatory glottal
stop before word-initial -- possibly even morpheme-initial -- vowels,
so I have the same tendency.)

Makes me glad I haven't tried to learn Tongan in earnest, though I was
very interested in its close relative Niuean for a while. (Fortunately
for me, Niuean has no glottal stops, so minimal pairs such as {tau}
and {ta'u} collapse to {tau}. -- Niuean has three words {tau} meaning
"(plural marker)", "year", and "fight"; unfortunately, I don't
remember which Tongan word means which.)

Cheers,
--
Philip Newton <[log in to unmask]>